This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Using Bluetooth

brainshower

Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:56:32 pm

I seem to be unable to perform the simplest task without jumping thru multiple terminal hoops. Does everyone have this much problem getting simple things to work?
I want to connect headphones thru bluetooth. I start Blue tooth manager. It says I have to enable Bluetooth so I click the enable button. It goes back to main screen. I start my bluetooth headphones and see nothing on the screen. I click on Open in Bluetooth Manager. Nothing Happens.
Users who love Linux rave about the speed of getting things done with terminal commands which is fine for those who understand the language. No offense but for those of us who don't, we spend an inordinate amount of time tracking down the right answer.
Does someone have an answer for enabling Bluetooth?

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:37:47 pm

Hi, I don't have such a device so after searching I found this article:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BluetoothHeadset

Let us know if it helps (or hinders). Thanks. ;) :D

brainshower

Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:47:19 pm

Thanks for the reply
There is no Bluetooth under Preferences. I did find a Check option for BT under LXsession (whatever that is). After rebooting I was able to get a menu after opening BT Manager, but still no pair option. In fact it did nothing

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:29:34 pm

LX session suggests you are running LXDE (Light X Desktop Environment) which is only normally running in Zorin Lite - did you add LXDE or are you running Zorin Lite? ;)

brainshower

Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:46:03 pm

Yes Zorin 9 Lite dual boot XP on HPDV1710ca which is a version of DV1000 on an HP laptop. BIOS ver F.51 1280MB RAM.

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:56:34 pm

Hi, go to here:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/259354/ ... th-headset

and scroll down to the bit headed how to pair in 'Lubuntu' which is what Zorin Lite is based on - if you have not got 'Blueman' installed you will need to do this.

Keep us posted! ;) :D

brainshower

Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:12:12 pm

Strange, I posted a reply and saw it appear but now it's gone
Blueman menu only shows up under root login.
When the menu appears, the only items not greyed out are VIEW and HELP. There is no BT icon in the panel, so there is no opportunity to pair.

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:05:47 am

OK, I will try and install Zorin Lite on an old notebook that has bluetooth and see where I can get - please be patient! ;) :D

brainshower

Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:34:55 am

no problem, I still have wires

brainshower

Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:19:08 pm

Strange, I plugged in a USB wireless mouse. I don't know what connection technology it uses, but Blueman menu did not display it. However, the mouse works without ever pairing or doing any setup. Some things just work! Amazing

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:55:38 pm

I think your mouse works because it is GNU/Linux friendly - see this post about headsets:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9404

brainshower

Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:56:59 pm

I don't want to leave the impression that BT is working. I still can't get BT headset to be recognized and paired

brainshower

Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:40:30 pm

Thanks but my headset is Bluetooth not USB
Ray

brainshower

Wed May 11, 2016 6:31:32 pm

I never did get BT to work. Any more suggestions

Swarfendor437

Wed May 11, 2016 9:22:34 pm

Can you elaborate please? ;) :D

brainshower

Tue May 31, 2016 8:58:27 pm

Anything new on getting Bluetoorh to work on wireless headset? I never was able to get it to start on Zorin Lite

MBMz10

Tue May 31, 2016 11:34:07 pm

Just a few thoughts and ideas to ponder. To make sure we are all on the same page.
Your 'wireless mouse' most likely has a little USB dongle that you plugged into a USB port on the computer, thus creating its own "WiFi" or wireless connection to the mouse and only to 'that' mouse, not a Bluetooth connection if you know what I mean. Yes?

Does Bluetooth work when you boot into XP? Your headphones maybe even?? Are you sure that your computer has a Bluetooth module/receiver/hardware physically in it?
Just like your mouse would stop working if you removed the USB dongle from the computer, perhaps there is no Bluetooth 'dongle' or adaptor/ hardware device in your computer.

Example below with no Bluetooth adaptor (my computer doesn't have Bluetooth so I need to use a USB adaptor). I am using Zorin OS 11 so the screen shots may look different than yours.
Bluetooth none.png

And again below after I plug in the adaptor.
Bluetooth in.png

I put some links below to HP website, I suspect that some of these models of laptop have bluetooth and some do not.

HP Pavilion dv1710ca Notebook
http://support.hp.com/us-en/search?q=HP ... ebook%20PC

HP Notebook PCs - Using Bluetooth Devices (Windows XP)
http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP- ... /c00045315

brainshower

Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:08:20 pm

Sorry about no reply but I wiped everything off that computer including Zorin and XP, and have not bothered to restore anything.
I did have BT under XP but I recall it was a problem getting the right drivers. HP was no help. My computer was one that came WITHOUT an operating CD and I was required to make a recovery CD. Unfortunately, there was no way to test that CD and when I had to use it, it failed.