This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Geforce GT 740 driver install

bud22923

Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:57:32 am

I have a Zotac Geforce GT 740 and I am trying to install the driver for it on Zorin OS11 64bit I downloaded the Driver from them I am trying to install it but it keeps coming up with error I tried opening it with software centre and Run Software and it keeps coming up with error.
Can anyone tell me another way of trying to install it?
I posted the pictures of what is coming up on my screen.
Also I went into Additional Drivers and this driver that it selected will not work as this is not the right driver for it.
I posted the picture of it.

MBMz10

Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:15:47 pm

Hi,
I have had issues with Nvidia drivers on Zorin OS 11 also and earlier editions also I think from memory.

Have you tried going 'up' in increments, that is install the 340 driver, restart and then try the 352 driver?

I have found thus far that Zorin OS 11 doesn't like my Nvidia driver at all, it will install but doesn't work very well at all. The screen looks terrible and I get Green Flashes, so I have gone back to the default Nouveau driver which works just fine. I have the Nvidia GT520, and it works well in Zorin OS 9 with the Nvidia driver but on the same machine with OS 11 not good at all.

This has been my experience.

Bradley

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:38:49 pm

If everything is working fine with the Nouveau GNU/Linux drivers I would stick with the 'out-of-the-box' drivers - using Proprietary drivers with my GT620 made things worse (on Zorin 9) so I stick with what works! ;) :D

bud22923

Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:21:03 am

The driver that Zorin put in there is not working here is a picture of what is coming up on my screen when it boots into Zorin.
And there is nothing wrong with monitor it works fine when I use it on the other computer.

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:02:47 pm

How come you managed to take the pictures of Zorin desktop looking fine then? ;)

bud22923

Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:13:06 pm

Because that was on the other Video card that I had in there.

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:54:49 pm

What was it like in 'Live' mode before installing?

Del369

Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:05:56 am

There's a couple of possibilities here, use at your own risk though:-

https://askubuntu.com/questions/691446/ ... ia-gt-740m

Read the whole thing though, something there might help but the last post suggests that maybe the card isn't supported, NVidia cards are a pain in the a**, least mine is, like taming a wild horse half the time :)

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:47:57 pm

Hi Del369, thanks for your input but that post on ask ubuntu is a mobile graphics card - clue in 740m - the OP has a Desktop machine but your argument could still hold true - especially as it may be a newer card. I had to remove a bizarre ATI card when recycling a machine at work - the ATI DVI with S-video port had a non-standard DVI socket with a VGA-splitter attached to the bizarre DVI pinned connector! It had to be removed so the beast could boot from the on-board card! Proprietary drivers for me tend to suck so I stick with the GNU/Linux nouveau drivers - much better but I appreciate that it won't suit every occasion and let's not forget it is not GNU/Linux fault - that lies squarely at the doors of 'closed' proprietary based hardware - whether it is Graphics or any other piece of hardware or peripheral! ;) :D

bud22923

Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:02:13 pm

Ok I found out how to install it in Terminal in Terminal it starts to install it and then it comes up with this
ERROR: You appear to be running an X server; please exit X before
installing. For further details, please see the section INSTALLING
THE NVIDIA DRIVER in the README available on the Linux driver
download page at www.nvidia.com.

OK

So how do I turn this option off in Terminal?
Also there is no readme file on there web site.

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:53:00 pm

Glad you mentioned 'terminal' (in respect of no help from NVidia that is them not being helpful!). Now back to 'terminal' - wondering if decalman's text installation guide might be of use to you:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8004&p=38810&hilit=text+based+install#p38810

Del369

Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:17:36 am

Hi Swarf, yea I noticed the M as well but I figured they probably mean the card as a whole, and I fully appreciate I could be way off the mark here.
Bud, if it will work, and if your ok with the consequences I'd start in Recovery mode, then enable network, then drop to root and run the commands there.
However I'm no expert I go on hunches and hail Mary's that sometimes go horribly wrong, so follow advice of mine at your own risk :)