This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Chinese Input

paperhawk

Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:43:24 pm

First off, let me say that I'm a big fan of Zorin and really like the operating system. However, I do have an issue.

I have a

1.) Sony Vaio Pro 13 model number SVP1321GGXBI,
2.) 8GB of RAM,
3.) Zorin is the only OS on there
4.) The entire hard drive is used.
5.) Intel HD Graphics 4400
6.) Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7260
7.) Tried Zorin live before installation.
8.) Zorin 9 Ultimate (trusty)

I've been trying to enable Chinese input on Zorin. The input method is ibus, I have tried to go into Language and Support to install Chinese and I have also selected Chinese under Text Entry Settings. Furthermore, I've also installed ibus-pinyin and ibus-sunpinyin. It works if I remove English after running ibus-setup, which allows me to add Chinese pinyin under my menu. However, what's in the indicator is certainly not reflective of what I have under ibus-setup.

Anyone reason why this is the case?

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:58:54 pm

Hi, I have seen an issue where I add English UK/GB and the indicator still shows En (US) but if I select the indicator the En GB is shown above - does that happen with you? ;)

paperhawk

Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:04:36 pm

When I select "En" from the indicator menu it does give me an option for Chinese but when I actually type, it's still English. It might be useful to note that Chinese has various input systems and in the past on Ubuntu systems you could choose which input system to use. The menu only displays one unless I run ibus-setup, but the indicator does not reflect those options.

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:51:29 pm

From your experience with Ubuntu, did that show up correctly? I suspect it is a bug with the 'indicator-3' applet. But this is minor as if I read your post correctly you have added the Chinese language/s and it is still not showing up?

paperhawk

Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:57:50 pm

This has worked previously on other installations of Ubuntu. For convenience, I've attached some pictures regarding the issue. This shows the text entry with Chinese (the wrong, but only one available) selected.
text_entry.png
Text entry
text_entry2.png
Menu options.
text_entry2.png (67.95 KiB)
I also have Chinese selected and an attempt to type, which clearly shows English. It's in a terminal screen but the same issue appears on other programs as well.
typing.png
Attempt to type in Chinese.
typing.png (19.89 KiB)
The last picture indicates the expectation from ibus which is not given in the indicator. And I cannot type in Chinese.
ibus.png
Ibus

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:08:24 am

I am beginning to wonder if the 'input' is expecting a chinese keyboard? I may be barking up the wrong tree totally just some passing thoughts with the way things have changed in 11 from 9. ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:24:00 am

Just found this thread:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/68127/ho ... ombination

Halfway down is reference to CompizConfig Settings Manager (CCSM) - might be worth checking if there is any keyboard combos that might be preventing this? ;) :D

paperhawk

Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:27:21 pm

The keyboard combination is fine. Super + Space switches between the two keyboards just fine. Perhaps I'm being unclear with my message. After switching to Chinese input, the input is still typing in English. This means that no matter how one switches to Chinese input (Super + space or from the indicator menu) and no matter what the indicator menu shows (En or Zh) as long as the Chinese keyboard is selected (Zh), English is always the output.

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:56:16 pm

Thanks for the clarification! Will see if I can find further information. ;)

Update - think this is a bug on the main distro too!:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/94902/ho ... ike-o?lq=1

You will not be able to ask on an Ubuntu forum - they will just redirect you here. :(

paperhawk

Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:19:28 pm

Thanks for searching, I'll check to see whether it's a bug in Ubuntu because I recall that it is not. I'm not sure what the link is supposed to describe considering I have a shortcut that does indeed switch between keyboards.

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:21:48 pm

Hi the last post I made and the one before that, suggests that changes are made and in the last link I gave there was mention of output still being in English - hence my thoughts on it being a bug? Hope you can get it resolved and share with us what you glean about Ubuntu 15.10. ;) :D