This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 11 Cairo Dock Integration

MBMz10

Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:08:22 pm

HI,
Using Zorin OS 11 Ultimate and Cairo Dock (version 3.4.1).

Middle clicking the Sound/Volume icon normally 'mutes' the volume, not working on above install.

Selecting "Program an automatic shut-down" from the Log out icon doesn't work, this allows to adjust in how long you want to shut down the computer.

I have installed on a few different machines with same result. On same PC with OS 9 they work perfectly.
Also done a clean install, run updates, installed Cairo Dock and its the same.
I am logging into the Cairo Dock session and no AWN panel is present.

Bradley

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:53:41 pm

Thanks for the input on this issue - I have not got this far with Zorin 11 - yet - I suspect it could be down to the fact that this is based on Ubuntu 15.10 and I am not sure that the Cairo-Dock project is up-to-date - all I can think of for now. ;) :D

MBMz10

Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:05:11 pm

I think you are correct! I created some Virtual Machines and Cairo Dock worked on 14.04.4 (Ubuntu) but on 15.10 and 16.04 Beta (or rather xenial-desktop-amd64.iso) it did not. I only tested the "volume Control" not the shut down feature or anything else.
I also installed Zorin OS 9, 10 and 11 Ultimate versions (on hardware) and installed Cairo Dock via Synaptic Package Manager onto each version and the faults are on both 10 and 11. OS 9 worked just fine. OS 9 Cairo Version is 3.3.2 and 10/11 use 3.4.1 via Synaptic.
There was also some issues with log out on 10/11, to get back into the 'Cairo Dock' Session after installing Cairo.

Any ideas other than waiting for the Dev's to update Cairo Dock? July and Zorin 12 are not that far away so don't stress about it, just a thought.
Imagine getting a new car and the brakes didn't work even though they were not changed from the last model! Opps sorry about that.
Just the way software is I guess.

Cheers,
Bradley

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:58:53 am

What you have to remember is that GNU/Linux is a bit like a Chopper - extend the forks too much and you could be heading for a fatal crash (remember seeing a road safety montage highlighting the Chopper scenario in a wax works 'museum'!).

I notice from the Cairo-Dock project page that it has not been updated since 23 October 2014:

http://www.glx-dock.org/ - bottom of page far right. They also are on launchpad and git-hub - might be worth posting the bugs - perhaps they too are waiting for the LTS before updating.

MBMz10

Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:26:52 am

Hi,

Done some more testing on this issue, not got the above issues sorted but there was another thing that I had forgot to mention about Cairo and Zorin 11.
When playing music (or any sound for that matter) you could get the icons on the Cairo Dock to 'dance' as they call it, by adding the "Impulse" add-on to the dock, however this was a little hit and miss, mostly miss.

Anyhow I couldn't get it to work and now I have discovered that if I Don't auto login, that is I put my password in at start up they work.
Doesn't seem to make any sense to me but wondering if anyone might know that the difference is between a login with or without the "greeter" box is? Does something else happen behind the scene?

This applies regardless of whether I login to the Cairo Dock session or a 'default' Zorin session with the dock running as well as AWN panel.
I also created some Virtual Box machines and with one of them it works even with auto login enabled...

Any ideas?

Bradley

MBMz10

Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:08:41 am

Well this gets even stranger.

For the purpose of clarity, I am only testing the Cairo Dock “Impulse” dancing icon effect.

Middle clicking the Sound/Volume icon to 'mute' the volume, and selecting "Program an automatic shut-down" from the “Log out” icon doesn't seem to work in any way shape or form on Zorin 10 or 11. One issue is causing me enough mental instability ATM.

Main Desktop PC using a Solid State Drive.

Zorin 9 all good, Zorin 10 and 11 not work unless I 'login' at the greeter box.
Then I installed Zorin 11 onto a traditional Hard Disk Drive (from a laptop - installed in main pc) and it worked with automatic login, so I copied the HDD image to the SSD and now it won't work again unless I turn automatic login OFF. Put the HDD back in and all good again…

But wait there's more, I have a Mint Box Mini (mini pc) that uses an mSATA SSD. I installed Zorin 11 onto that and it works with auto login.

So to sum up, the “impulse” effect seems to not like auto login on an SSD but doesn't care about it on a HDD. I have tried 2 different brand/size SSD's and as stated in earlier posts some success with Virtual Machines created on the same PC.
I'm hopeful that someone may know about auto login or SSD firmware/behaviour that maybe interfering with this or seen something else as strange and bizarre as this! That's computers...

Bradley

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:28:41 pm

As I stated in the post above - the project has not been updated since October 2014 - and the kernel has moved on since then! ;) :D