This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Z9 Internet Speed

jereece

Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:07:50 pm

I installed Zorin 9 Core on a home built desktop computer. Actually I have done this on two desktop computers. The internet is connected via Cat5 cable, not wireless. The internet, using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox loads web pages at least twice as slow compared to my laptops connecting wireless. For testing I go to YouTube and launch a video. Sometimes it takes up to 60 seconds to begin loading and then sometimes it loads a few seconds and stops. The same video on my laptop, running Windows and connecting wireless, loads and runs non-stop in about 3 seconds. You would think a computer connecting via cable would be faster. Any idea why browsing the internet on Zorin is significantly slower than Windows?

I appreciate any insights or suggestions.

Jim

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:04:17 am

Hi, have you fully updated your system after installing? What network card do you have installed? - to get this information if not known, open a Terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and enter:

Code:
ifconfig -a

This will list all your network interfaces - look for the one marked as 'eth0'

Also, please read Wolfman's post-install guide here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9785

download the unofficial manual here (for 9):

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9512

Just while I think on - make sure that your 'Software Update' settings are set to 'Main Server' instead of the one set to where you live. ;) :D

Linx

Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:22:17 am

I suggest running a speedtest and getting some numbers.
You can do this by going to either speedtest.net or speedof.me in your web browser.
Run the test and see what kinda speeds you are actually getting.

Speedtest.net:
click "begin test" be a little careful on this site, lots of ads.

Speedof.me:
click "start test"

Don't run the test at the same time.
A video loading slower may be a difference in the quality it is trying to load in. Higher quality requires faster speeds.

Run the test on the wired and wireless computers, If possible also try to run a test from wired and wireless on one computer. and post the results in here for us.