This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[MOVED] Can't access dual boot Zorin following hdd update

ECLtwo

Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:29:53 pm

New guy*, 1st Post...
As noted I cloned my existing HD to a new SSD... Appears that all is OK with data in both Win7 and Zorin directories, however I can NO LONGER access and run Zorin11 any more... The prior boot selector menu is non-existent.
Hoping someone can provide a solution,
Thks, Ed
ps: *I'm a 76yr old computer guy... Pre personal computers, going back to IBM 360 mainframe times... 1965... but I can't solve this issue

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:39:28 pm

Hi, and welcome to Zorin! :D

It all depends on how you cloned your drive - if you used Clonezilla for example you need to also select 'clone mbr' to new drive as well as just cloning the partitions - something I discovered first time around using Clonezilla!

The other issue is the fact it is an SSD - not sure if this requires a GPT boot partition now I come to think of it! ;) :D

ECLtwo

Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:44:32 pm

Thanks for yr reply... played around w/ my 'problem' most of yesterday and FINALLY I just bit the bullet and re-installed Zorin. JOY!

Now, I'm just having another fit getting rid of EasyBCD that I tried... I read about it on a blog and gave it a go, which ended up as a BIG NO GO! Never again! It is like a vulture, just hanging around... Q- Do you know of any quick solution? I did a 'normal' wash of it so far..NO JOY!

Also, looking at the use of a virtual box in Zorin to run my CAD program (FastCAD, which I have been using for my oilfield design work since 1985) which has not worked well under Wine or anything else... hence my ONLY need for Windows, I have switched all other programs I use to Win/Linux distros. Suggestions?

ps: How do you do the 'smiley' things?

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:14:51 pm

End of lunch break - back this pm - hopefully! ;) :D

ECLtwo

Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:11:57 pm

Any suggestions yet...? Hoping so,
Ed

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:05:36 pm

sorry for delay but now time for bed - please bear with! ;) :(

Swarfendor437