This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Two issues / no working solution found yet

Mitchilich

Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:51:39 pm

Good afternoon.

I am new to Zorin OS, coming from both Windows and Mac. I downloaded the ISO for 9.1 today and installed it. Everything went flawlessly in that regard.

Unfortunately, I have run into two separate issues, I cannot find solutions for, and all the solutions I have tried by researching have not worked.

Problem 1; I cannot change the resolution. It defaults to 800x600 and there is no option to change it. In the display settings, it simply says "built in display" and I can't select anything other than 800x600.

Problem 2: eth0 doesn't appear to exist. I can connect wireless, but the ethernet connection gives me an output of 'device not found'.

I was wondering if someone could assist me in troubleshooting this? I'm not going to be very good with general answers. I'm new, so I will need you to be specific about what I am to do, step by step. Tell me what commands you want outputs for, and I will provide them.

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:30:07 pm

Hi, Please open a terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and enter:

Code:
lspci

and post back the results please - also see this:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5449

Thanks.

qnarkill

Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:04:09 pm

Sometimes the modes just arent there, f.e i had that problem in gnome.
To get a list of valid names for "output" (and modes) use xrandr -q, in terminal.
*marked, that you are with now.

Then you can switch to mode you see listed in that listing

xrandr --output DVI-0 --mode 1024x768
(of course insert the output and mode that you have instead of DVI-0 and 1024x768 that is in the example)

might be also that you have to install some drivers first though.
Easiest way to install open source & propietory drivers is the settings-> software & updares -> addiotional drivers

Also what connector(s) are you using? I had some trouble using VGA but changed to DVI, and problems were solved.