This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Re-Installing Zorin 9 from 32 bit to 64 bit

Pipeline67

Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:22:15 pm

When I upgraded to Zorin 9 a few years ago, I installed the 32 bit and everything works great. Now Chrome and everyone else seems to think 64 bit is the only way to go, or won´t support. If I backup Zorin using the backup in the system and then reinstall Zorin 9, 10 or 11 64 bit, can I just restore the back up or do I have to selectively back up files to restore after the new system? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:59:19 am

Clearly 32-bit kernels are going to be different to 64-bit - personally 64-bit is pants (regardless of what OS we are talking about!) especially when it comes to hardware that may not be 64-bit compliant. If you do want to backup your Zorin (if it is not dual-boot) by using redobackup (redobackup.org) - there have been comments on here that it can't backup partitions - if you want a commercial product then I suggest Acronis as the alternative solution to the free one or use clonezilla to clone your partitions to another drive - you may also want to backup your mbr/GRUB too! ;) :D I was expected to have a new machine installed with 64-bit Windows 7 - my machine is fine and working sweet - I requested another user to have my upgrade as I do not want Braille production interrupted on my machine - and surprise surprise, the image that was created on one PC failed to take on the second - I rest my fallible case! :P

Pipeline67

Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:51:49 pm

Well, my Zorin 9 is dual-boot with a windows system that I haven´t used in years but still have on the hard-drive in case I have forgotten some file left there. Not sure what that has to do with anything. I back-up my Zorin 9 using the backup from the Zorin system, but I can´t remember if I can selectively restore the files from that backup if I download and install a newer Zorin in 64 bit using this backup that was done in Zorin 9 32 bit. If not should I copy all my Zorin file folders and then restore after the New Zorin 64 bit install? Thanks

Swarfendor437

Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:27:01 pm

I think if you are wanting to create a full backup, I would opt for the whole drive using the free software redobackup from redobackup.org - http://redobackup.org/ or you could use clonezilla to clone your drive or pay for Acronis True Image for Home use.

Pipeline67

Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:16:17 pm

My question is that if I backed up using Zorin 9 Backup and I have the backup stored on another partition on the drive than the operating system, and I then kill Zorin 9 32 bit and then install for example Zorin 11 64 bit, can I restore selective files from the Zorin 9 (32bit) back-up. Or, is the Zorin 9 32bit back-up only good for complete restore, including the existing operating system?

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:37:06 pm

Sorry for the glitch in the forum - or a glitch in me - hard to figure!

Anyways - the current backup is just your desktop settings, NOT the OS or data! If you want to backup your entire OS then I would go with redobackup from 'http://redobackup.org". If you only wnat to backup your '/home' folder then you should just copy and paste to external drive, remembering to press 'Ctrl+ H' to show hidden files - these hide the 'settings' of your various installed applications, including WINE (.wine). ;) :D

Pipeline67

Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:02:30 pm

OK, thanks. Think I am going to wait for OS 12, 64 bit or something that has longer support than July.