This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to Install a Brother Printer/Scanner?

Candive

Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:33:30 am

I'm a new user to Linux and just installed Zorin Version 9. My problem is the system does not recognise my network scanner. I downloaded all the drivers from the Brother website for my DCP-J315W. I was able to get the print driver installed and running but not the scanner. Here is a list of drivers i downloaded from the Brother site:

dcpj315wlpr-1.1.3.1.i386.deb
dcpj315wcupswrapper-1.1.3.1.i386.deb
brscan3-0.2.13-1.i386.deb
brscan-skey-0.2.4-1.i386.deb
brother-udev-rule-type1-1.0.0-1.all.deb

There is also a universal installer provided by Brother called linux-brprinter-installer-2.0.0-1 which automatically loads the drivers via the terminal. As indicated, the network printer works but programs such as Simple Scan, XSANE or gscan2pdf can not find the scanner on the network. I also installed the drivers via GDebi, but this didn't make a difference. Any advice or recommendations would be helpful.

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:29:41 pm

I have found similar issues with a Canon MG-7550 - it needs to be connected via usb to scan successfully. ;) :D

Candive

Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:27:56 pm

Hi Swarf,
Thanks for the speedy response. I will certainly link the printer/scanner via USB to install and test the scanner drivers and will post my results once completed. BTW, are you suggesting that once I get the scanner running via USB, I will able to configure the system to run via wifi?

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:47:02 am

I only got the scanner (Canon) to work once - then nada - I don't 'think' it is possible - await to hear from other users of such devices. ;) :D

Candive

Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:33:33 pm

Success! - It worked. Thanks Swarf!
Basically I hooked up the printer via USB and all scanning software immediately recognized the printer. I ran a couple of tests and everything worked perfectly. Then, fingers crossed, I unplugged the usb cable form the computer and the scanning software still recognized the printer! I rebooted and the connection persisted. Fantastic!

I have another multi-function printer in the house upstairs...do I need to connect it as well via usb to make it work? (which is a bit of a pain since its located in a different part of the house - again connected via the home network. I again used the Brother universal installer, downloaded from the Brother website, and installed the drivers. Again, fingers crossed, I rebooted my machine and voila! both scanners were recognized via the network.

So for some quirky reason, when setting up a Brother multi-function printer, its best to set it up connected to the computer. Once its set up, you can disconnect the printer, move it and it should stay connected via wifi (if it has this capability).

My next little tweak is to see if I can initiate the scan from the printer and have it save the file in Zorin. I'll test it this weekend and report back. Very happy at this stage. Thanks again Swarf :D

Swarfendor437

Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:35:42 am

Glad to be of help - Don't forget Wolfman's excellent Post Install Guide - he covers Brother Printers in there!

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9785