This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Canon Printer MP240

ian4238

Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:36:29 am

I realise there are endless problems getting some printers to work properly in Linux. I have Zorin-9 installed (dual boot with Windows 7), and have installed as driver for my printer: 'cnijfilter-mp240series' and 'scangearmp-mp240series'. I have two items on my start menu/graphics: 'Canon Printer Maintenance' and 'Canon Printer Monitor'. Neither does anything when clicked.
If right clicked, you get a few choices including 'Open as Administrator' which also does nothing. I can use WIN7 for Maintenance, but would prefer to scrap Windows.

Using terminal, I have tried 'canon-maintenance' and get 'line32: [:= unary operator expected'
line34: [:=: unary operator expected

Using terminal again, I tried 'canon-ijmon' and got message 'cngpijmon: command not found'

The printer works well most of the time, but sometimes after printing does not stop flashing, and I have to turn off the power, then restart the printer to continue.
For scanning, Scangearmp works OK, but I prefer Simple Scan, which is quicker and easier.

Can anyone throw any light on the printer maintenance problem?

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:30:42 pm

ian4238

Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:39:04 am

Thanks. However, I have no scanner problems. When you install the Windows driver, it includes Printer Maintenance. When you install the Linux version, you get the items in the Start Menu, but they do not work. This is not critical, as I can always boot up WIN7 and use it. But it would be handy to have the state of the ink cartridges available, and be able to clean the printer heads, etc. For Zorin-9 to be a complete replacement for Windows, it should do these things. There is obviously something wrong in the Linux driver, that the printer prints, but sometimes does not turn off when finished. At that point the printer on/off button does not work, and has to be unplugged before starting again.
Inkjet printers are so cheap today, I have considered buying a different make, but that could be the start of a new series of problems. Or I could buy Turboprint -- but don't know if that works properly?

ian4238

Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:15:55 pm

Thanks. However, I have no problem with the scanner.

My problem is with the printer - it prints OK, but does not revert to standby afterwards. I have to disconnect it, then turn it on again to continue. Also the "Printer Maintenance" item in Start Menu does nothing.

Swarfendor437

Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:33:19 am

I understand where you are coming from, I have similar issues with MG7550 but I will always choose Canon over other printers but that is my personal preference. I would advise not unplugginig or switching off at the wall as you could short the printers motherboard! In the meantime please take a look here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport ... ntersCanon

Just remember, the issue is not with GNU/Linux - the issue is with Canon failing to provide decent GNU/Linux drivers. If you want to buy a printer that is GNU/LInux ready (mostly) then go for an HP one as they were/are the only manufacturer to produce specific GNU/Linux drivers and tools for their printers - but their cartridges are very expensive compared to Canon.

Hope you find a solution that meets your needs. ;) :D

ian4238

Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:19:00 pm

I'm not sure if my 'quick reply' was recorded or not.
Recently I found an offer of an HP Deskjet 3630 all-in-one printer for $35 (new). I bought it and tried to see if it would work straight out of the box. It didn't. It requires a driver HPLIP 3.15.6 but in Synaptic only version 3.14.3 is available. I downloaded 3.16.3 and set about installing it using HP's automatic installer. As Zorin is not listed by HP I had to use Ubuntu 14.04, and that got me a lot of arguments that I should install manually. First time failed because of root/superuser password. Redid it using sudo, and eventually ended up where Terminal told me the there was a missing dependency I had to install outside of Installer:
libusb (libusb-usb library) I am attaching a screenprint.

I searched through Synaptic but that name does not appear. I installed 'libhidapi-libusb0' and 'libusb-dev' but still got the same message from Terminal:
Missing dependency - libusb (libusb - usb library)

Can you throw any light on this? I'd hate to have to go back to my Canon printer (and WIN7) when necessary, although it does print when not being temperamental.

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:57:04 pm

ian4238

Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:45:52 am

The UK webpage was not too honest. This printer does not appear to be very Linux friendly.
I tried the suggested: sudo apt-get install hplip printer-driver-hpijs hplip-gui and got version 3.14.3 that will not drive this printer. As for the driver download, there seems to be no answer to what the missing dependency is, as the stated
libusb (libusb-usb Library) does not appear in Synaptic in that form.
I am wondering if when I have a few days to spare, I could install every item in Synaptic mentioning libusb. The first two I tried said they were already installed.

Swarfendor437

Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:18:28 pm

Hi, Can you start a new thread for this please, as realise that the question is now about HP printer? Could you put the model in the thread too? I will then move the bits of this thread that apply to the new thread. Thanks. ;) :D

In the meantime have you been to this page?:

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html

It may be useful posting on their 'get help' link too as it is dedicated to HP printer issues under GNU/Linux. Cheers! ;) :D