This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] UPDATE ERROR

James tobin

Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:03:11 am

update_ERROR.png
problem here... i have zorin os 11 and when i get another annoying pop up begging for updates and i click install i get the error shown in the attatchment. I have 1 tb hdd and have not used near all the space, also i used sudo apt-get clean AND emptied the trash as it recommended but that did not work at all. Please help :x

Del369

Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:40:24 am

James tobin wrote:
update_ERROR.png
problem here... i have zorin os 11 and when i get another annoying pop up begging for updates and i click install i get the error shown in the attatchment. I have 1 tb hdd and have not used near all the space, also i used sudo apt-get clean AND emptied the trash as it recommended but that did not work at all. Please help :x

Try this https://askubuntu.com/questions/298487/ ... -upgrading it should help, then install Ubuntu Tweak, if you have it already use the Janitor function. It doesn't go on your hard drive space it's the settings you gave the root drive when you installed (if I remember correctly) it's annoying and you will have to do it again but it is fixable as well, good luck.

James tobin

Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:02:10 pm

@del369: i tried that and it did not work, see terminal output

termupdateerror.png

James tobin

Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:03:29 pm

whatever you do dont say "well read what it says" or else use terminal jargon on me (or linux filesystem) as i understand neither. i'm a GUI guy :P

qnarkill

Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:02:06 pm

Please run in terminal and post here
df -h

dpkg --list 'linux-image*'

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:03:25 pm

Just a comment on the first screenshot - '/boot' is only used if you have issues multi-booting (speaking from personal usage) or bizarre SSD's like the one in eeepc's that are small and have small OS sector for Windows. If you installed the OS System to '/boot' that will be the issue - if you need to use boot the partitioning (based on Zorin and nothing else would be:

1. '/boot' - 512 Mb and formatted to 'ext4' fs
2. '/' - 'root' filesystem - 30 Gb (30720 Mib) and formatted to ext4
3. '/home' - formatted to 'ext4' and the difference of space left between '/' and 'swap area'
4. At end of drive, 4 Gb 'swap area' (4096 Mib).

GRUB would be the only thing to be placed in '/boot'! ;) :D

Del369

Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:13:38 pm

Hmm, don't follow their package lists exactly, your going to need to see which ones you have installed, sorry I use 14.04 so they are different, some consultation with Mr Google will be needed to see what Ubuntu 15.10 (? I think) installed on your system, it should be doable, also make sure synaptics package manager and software centre are closed when you do this or you will get the other process being open error.
I feel your pain I'm also a GUI baby :) don't give up though and tomorrow it's a new day (sorry been out and it's Friday here) let us know if your still stuck in the morning.

James tobin

Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:31:03 pm

@qnarkill: here is the data you requested

james@Zorin:~$ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev 5.8G 0 5.8G 0% /dev
tmpfs 1.2G 11M 1.2G 1% /run
/dev/dm-0 905G 242G 617G 29% /
tmpfs 5.9G 740K 5.9G 1% /dev/shm
tmpfs 5.0M 4.0K 5.0M 1% /run/lock
tmpfs 5.9G 0 5.9G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/sda2 237M 154M 71M 69% /boot
/dev/sda1 511M 3.4M 508M 1% /boot/efi
cgmfs 100K 0 100K 0% /run/cgmanager/fs
tmpfs 1.2G 28K 1.2G 1% /run/user/1000
james@Zorin:~$ dpkg --list 'linux-image*'
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Architecture Description
+++-==============-============-============-=================================
un linux-image <none> <none> (no description available)
un linux-image-3. <none> <none> (no description available)
ii linux-image-4. 4.2.0-23.28 amd64 Linux kernel image for version 4.
ii linux-image-4. 4.2.0-30.36 amd64 Linux kernel image for version 4.
ii linux-image-4. 4.2.0-34.39 amd64 Linux kernel image for version 4.
ii linux-image-ex 4.2.0-23.28 amd64 Linux kernel extra modules for ve
ii linux-image-ex 4.2.0-30.36 amd64 Linux kernel extra modules for ve
ii linux-image-ex 4.2.0-34.39 amd64 Linux kernel extra modules for ve
ii linux-image-ge 4.2.0.34.37 amd64 Generic Linux kernel image
james@Zorin:~$

James tobin

Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:34:19 pm

Del369 wrote:Hmm, don't follow their package lists exactly, your going to need to see which ones you have installed, sorry I use 14.04 so they are different, some consultation with Mr Google will be needed to see what Ubuntu 15.10 (? I think) installed on your system, it should be doable, also make sure synaptics package manager and software centre are closed when you do this or you will get the other process being open error.
I feel your pain I'm also a GUI baby :) don't give up though and tomorrow it's a new day (sorry been out and it's Friday here) let us know if your still stuck in the morning.

thanks for the encouragement :) it would be more bearable if it wouldnt nag me day and night about it.. ill turn off auto updates temporarily untill i get a helpful reply :)

James tobin

Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:37:22 pm

also, @dell369, it's wierd that i am a "GUI baby" because i love DOS (and windows 3.1) but the BASH just scares me :(

James tobin

Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:56:27 am

also, update an hour later, i have a virtualbox failure (very upsetting) that just happened, i went to virtualbox forums and they determined it is the OS's fault. https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic ... 99#p359099

qnarkill

Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:27:13 am

I guess you have tried allready sudo apt-get autoremove ?

Del369

Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:36:07 am

Hi James, I can relate to all of your last post including DOS and Win 3.1, and bash truely does baffle me :)

Ok back to your problem, all you need to do is make enough room to install Ubuntu Tweak, then the rest can be done via that, so looking at Ubuntu Tweak, on it's homepage it seems it's only been updated to 14.04, however I did find this:-

Installing Ubuntu Tweak on Ubuntu 15.10

Then scroll down to "Install Ubuntu Tweak On Ubuntu 15.10/15.04/14.10/14.04" and go from there.
Looking at the screen shot you supplied it looks like they were using 15.01? not 15.10 as the kernels are 3.5.x I could be wrong there but your packages are all 4.2.x which would explain the commands not finding anything, but also it seems you had something else open at the start as well, you'll need to close Software Center, Synaptics and Software Updater that should resolve the "resource in use" part.

"ii linux-image-4. 4.2.0-23.28 amd64 Linux kernel image for version 4.
ii linux-image-4. 4.2.0-30.36 amd64 Linux kernel image for version 4.
ii linux-image-4. 4.2.0-34.39 amd64 Linux kernel image for version 4.
ii linux-image-ex 4.2.0-23.28 amd64 Linux kernel extra modules for ve
ii linux-image-ex 4.2.0-30.36 amd64 Linux kernel extra modules for ve
ii linux-image-ex 4.2.0-34.39 amd64 Linux kernel extra modules for ve
ii linux-image-ge 4.2.0.34.37 amd64 Generic Linux kernel image"

So to make enough room try un-installing just "ii linux-image-4. 4.2.0-23.28 amd64 Linux kernel image for version 4" that should then give you enough space to install Ubuntu Tweak, once there use Janitor/Clean, and for that I usually clean everything except the last 2 packages and their related files, it will also clean a bunch of other stuff as well like Firefox cache, thumbnails etc, and cleaning the cache files it lists doesn't seem to affect my Firefox, however before I used tweak tool on my Firefox the first time I did back it up just in case I lost everything, so you might want to consider that as a safety net the first time.

I remember the first time I ran into this it was horrific but if the above works you will see that message once every couple of weeks and you'll know what to do.

I think if I've understood things right then your problem stems from this:-

"/dev/sda2 237M 154M 71M 69% /boot" it seems this is a default install size and then the system uses it to throw in all the packages and junk and it's only 237mb if which 154mb's is used hence not enough space for a kernel that needs updating, it's something you can set on installation, and when 12LTS comes out I'll be setting that to a few GB's, but right now Ubuntu Tweak (if it works is (imho) the best way to deal with it.

I hope that helps.

Swarfendor437

Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:12:49 pm

James tobin wrote:
Del369 wrote:Hmm, don't follow their package lists exactly, your going to need to see which ones you have installed, sorry I use 14.04 so they are different, some consultation with Mr Google will be needed to see what Ubuntu 15.10 (? I think) installed on your system, it should be doable, also make sure synaptics package manager and software centre are closed when you do this or you will get the other process being open error.

thanks for the encouragement :) it would be more bearable if it wouldnt nag me day and night about it.. ill turn off auto updates temporarily untill i get a helpful reply :)

Could you please launch Gparted (yes it is graphical - just enter the word in the Windows 7 search bar on the menu and upload a screenshot of your partition layout? Thanks - we could probably be more helpful once that is uploaded! ;) :D

James tobin

Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:02:28 pm

now trying to install ubuntu tweak but dont know what it will do and i dont have much time this morning but will be back in the afternoon.

as for the request for gparted information, heres the screenshot:
gparted.png

James tobin

Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:04:05 pm

@del369: now i am in terminal and am getting this error when trying to install after installing gdebi:

james@Zorin:~$ sudo gdebi ubuntu-tweak_0.8.7-1~trusty2_all.deb
gdebi error, file not found: ubuntu-tweak_0.8.7-1~trusty2_all.deb
james@Zorin:~$

oil be back this afternoon to check out the helpful replies ;)

Del369

Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:20:37 pm

James you need to open terminal from the location you downloaded the package to, you could try copying the package to your desktop and then trying it again. Or right click the folder that it's in and see if you have the option "Open in terminal" (can't remember if that's in standard Nautilus or I had to install it) then try again, either way you have to tell the program where to find the file.
Or if it defaults to Downloads then:-

del@del-desktop:~$ cd Downloads
del@del-desktop:~/Downloads$ sudo gdebi ubuntu-tweak_0.8.7-1~trusty2_all.deb
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Building data structures... Done
This package is uninstallable
A later version is already installed
del@del-desktop:~/Downloads$

qnarkill

Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:51:17 pm

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2142894
here's how others have solved this, although its in ubuntu..

James tobin

Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:41:02 pm

i checked the ubuntu forums and can not understand it :( it all is beyond me, maybe make it simpler. I did try that "bleachbit" program and it didnt do much. ill be back later.

qnarkill

Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:12:46 pm

Maybe resize /boot partion with live cd (gparted)?

James tobin

Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:59:40 pm

@qnarkill: sounds dangerous >:C what if i lose data?
hope there's an alternative.

Del369

Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:27:01 pm

Maybe install Ubuntu Teak....

James tobin

Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:30:49 am

@del369: i figured out ubuntu tweak i admit i wasnt paying good attention to the directions thats why i goofed. Now i ran the clean and am waiting for another (annoying) update popup ;)

clean.png

:D :) :lol: :P 8-) :twisted: :mrgreen:

James tobin

Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:36:46 am

or is there any way i can manually force-check for updates?

James tobin

Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:46:32 am

well, update dialog just popped up and it WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks so much @del369 @Swarfendor437 and @qnarkill :) really appreciated, and im getting over my "terminal illnesses" :P haha

Del369

Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:37:48 am

Good stuff James glad to hear it, you should be ok for a couple of weeks now, just one small but vital detail, it's always better to keep the last 2 kernels and their associated files, the following example only has one as I inadvertently cleaned mine last week :mrgreen: but I did still have one left, so normally I'd suggest to do the following but un-selecting the last 2:-

UT.jpg

So when cleaned you then have:-

UT1.jpg

I'm not sure what the consequences are of having none, but I dare say we are about to find out :D Swarf should he try and install the latest one again?

qnarkill

Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:48:09 am

James tobin wrote:well, update dialog just popped up and it WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks so much @del369 @Swarfendor437 and @qnarkill :) really appreciated, and im getting over my "terminal illnesses" :P haha
Great job, your welcome :)

James tobin

Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:16:55 pm

@del369: confused as to What you mean by last 2, i see in screenshot all on right sidebar selected which i would have thought on first guess...

Del369

Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:19:18 pm

If you look at the first screen shot in the middle of the screen there are small arrows to left of everything, if you click those they expand the section to individual files/packages which you can then select or deselect just as the "Old kernels" part of that screen shot shows

James tobin

Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:26:09 pm

oh ok, just that you didnt uncheck them in screenshot but thanks a lot :)

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:47:50 am

Have marked as [RESOLVED] ;) :D

Del369

Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:36:30 pm

James tobin wrote:oh ok, just that you didnt uncheck them in screenshot but thanks a lot :)

Uhhhh I did :P

James tobin

Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:49:48 pm

:D