This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Adding a NVIDIA video card

mojolinux

Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:45:36 pm

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to use an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750Ti video card with Zorin 9.0? Zorin O.S. itself includes NO "Additional Drivers" to try for this NVIDIA card on my system.
At present I am using the Zorin provided default drivers for my Intel (i-7 4490K) Integrated Graphics which work great, and even allow 2560X1440 Resolution with an HDMI connection to fill my 27" IPS Monitor.

I would like to add the NVIDIA card instead of the Integrated Graphics, and have actually tried installing, but have run into a problem using the default Zorin (Open Source) drivers, which provide only a very low resolution maximum!
This very low resolution max to me, begs for NVIDIA Proprietary drivers!

After reading through several different Forum threads, it seems that adding a NVIDIA Proprietary driver is problematic at best with a Ubuntu or derivative Linux.
Am I banging my head against the proverbial wall with NVIDIA? Would I be better off trying an AMD Radeon card instead?
Any Zorin users feedback would be appreciated on any experience using an NVIDIA card!

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:02:39 am

qnarkill

Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:02:21 am

Nvidia nouveau driver sucked big time for me on 11 so you just need to change to proprietory driver.

Some more tips if you find gui more home.
http://askubuntu.com/questions/47506/ho ... al-drivers

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:56:51 am

Just for clarity, Nouveau drivers are not provided by nVidia; nouveau drivers are what are provided by GNU/Linux - nVidia and AMD (formerly ATi) provide proprietary drivers for GNU/Linux - I have had more issues with proprietary drivers than with Nouveau! ;) :D

mojolinux

Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:06:35 pm

Just to add my own clarity, Zorin 9 does not provide me with ANY alternative video drivers be they "nouveau" or Proprietary.
The default Open Source driver that was included with my original Zorin installation *does work* with my NVIDIA video card, but at such an extremely low resolution it is totally unacceptable, especially on a 27" IPS Monitor capable of 2560x1440 resolution!
If it is such a hassle to add an NVIDIA card with correct drivers to Zorin/Ubuntu, what would be Zorin`s least "hassle" (modern) AMD Radeon card alternative? (I am NOT a gamer, but do want quality graphics and resolution)

qnarkill

Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:18:14 pm

Just a couple lines of commands and your done, check out 1st the link Swarfendor posted. I had poor fps in nexuiz playing 4k and after 352. driver it was all just a bad memory.

mojolinux

Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:02:05 pm

Can this "text based install" of NVIDIA drivers as shown by command line in Swarfendor`s link be accomplished AFTER the Zorin installation?

qnarkill

Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:31:18 am

Yes.