This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Back up

sue

Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:24:31 am

What is the best way to back up my computer?

I looked at the back up folder I save the weekly back ups to and it's got 3,332 items in and is 174.5 GB which is an awful lot I thought, so do I need all this or is there a better way?

Swarfendor437

Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:33:24 am

Hi, for a definite backup of your computer, rather than keep using the backup manager that comes with Zorin, I would recommend a free package and a paid for package - the free one is redobackup from http://redobackup.org - please be aware that this is only able to backup the entire drive which it compresses - for example I made a backup of Windows at work which was on a 400 Gb drive - the image was 50 Gb sent to external drive - a forum member pointed uot that redobackup is unable to backup individual partitions but for a free tool that is simple to use its a nice little piece of software. The paid for option which has more options is Acronis True Image (Home Use) from www.acronis.com. Other than that what I tend to do is to simply backup my entire '/home' folder after pressing 'Ctrl+ H' to ensure hidden files get backed up also - in all scenarios you need either an external drive or a second hard drive installed in a desktop for backups. Hope this helps! ;) :D

sue

Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:54:25 am

Yes it does help thanks Swarfendor437