This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

core versus lite on my system

sovre

Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:20:26 am

I am just getting started with Zorin and have a question about the Core install.

First let me say that the hardware I am running on is about 7 years old: it has a Q6600 proc and an AMD Radeon video card bought at the same period.

I first installed Lite. Everything was so fast and snappy that I immediately decided I wanted to start running my system on Zorin. But I read that Core came with more features and software, so I thought I should go with Core for my final install, and that's what I did.

But once I began running Core I noticed a performance hit. Not as snappy. More lag. And a general feeling of clunkiness when opening/closing/moving windows, and so on.

Not knowing why this would be I tried to do some research. One thing I read is that Core is based on Gnome 3 and that this does not play well with AMD video cards. Is this true, and could this be the source of the problems I'm experiencing? Or is my hardware just too old to get good performance running anything but Lite?

I also read that it is possible to install proprietary video drivers but I am not sure how to do this, and I am wondering if it would be worthwhile in my situation? If I could do this, would it be likely to solve the issues I am having?

I'd rather not go back to Lite now, because I've spent the day setting up my system and have already installed a lot of software. So if there is a way to solve this without doing a full system reinstall, I am all ears!

Thanks for your help.

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:25:51 pm

Lite uses LXDE (Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment) - X11 is the display manager that brings you the GUI of Lite - it is based on Lubuntu - it is there for a reason - kit that is not up to speed with more recent kit - I would liken the interface of LIte to Win2k in terms of looks - Core uses an awful lot more resources, not least due to Compiz desktop effects as well as the Gnome DE. Hope this clarifies things - Zorin states on the main site that you should try in 'live' mode before attempting to install - this will give you some idea of performance - hope this helps. ;) :D

sovre

Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:09:50 pm

Thanks. It sounds like lite is the most suitable for that system then. I jumped into core too soon,

qnarkill

Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:03:41 pm

So if there is a way to solve this without doing a full system reinstall, I am all ears!

Why not install lxde on core? the example is on buntu..
http://www.howtogeek.com/107368/how-to- ... on-ubuntu/

Swarfendor437

Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:04:37 pm

I installed LXDE on Zorin 6 and broke my dekstop! :( ;) :D

qnarkill

Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:20:08 pm

Zorin 6? Broke desktop and you cant use gnome anymore to login?

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:36:17 pm

I could login but had lost some DE functionality - it is such a long time ago - I stopped using six after this:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9267

and I designed a wallpaper for Zorin whilst using said DE:

http://gnome-look.org/content/preview.p ... r+Zorin%29