This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

No sound Zorin 9 Trusty

katman104

Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:50:03 pm

Installed Zorin 9 and when I use any media player (Video Player, VLC player) I get no sound. Tried to upload screen shot of OS but not allowed too I guess. If anyone can give me pointers on what to check will be appreciated.

By the way same PC, same version of VLC, using Linux Mint mate 17.1 have no problems. CD's and DVD's play OK.
Thanks for any help in advance

Swarfendor437

Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:40:33 pm

Hi and welcome! Have you changed your update location to Main Server and completed update after install? Please be sure to read Woodman's excellent post-install guide found as first thread on Global announcements. ;-)

qnarkill

Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:34:31 pm

Maybe first check in terminal >alsamixer that you have the volume?

Then perhaps try to reload ALSA:
sudo alsa force-reload

If that won't help, try to reinstall ALSA and pulseaudio, and reload once again?
sudo apt-get remove --purge alsa-base pulseaudio
sudo apt-get install alsa-base pulseaudio
sudo alsa force-reload

Hope this solves the problem.

katman104

Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:51:12 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi and welcome! Have you changed your update location to Main Server and completed update after install? Please be sure to read Woodman's excellent post-install guide found as first thread on Global announcements. ;-)

How do I Change to Main Server :?: :? I have updated several times and Downloaded the latest update 4/24/2016.

katman104

Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:38:24 pm

qnarkill wrote:Maybe first check in terminal >alsamixer that you have the volume?

sudo alsa force-reload

If that won't help, try to reinstall ALSA and pulseaudio, and reload once again?
sudo alsa force-reload

Hope this solves the problem.

Did this an unfortunately still no sound. Thanks

Finally got it working by following directions "carefully" and all OK on Zorin 9. Thanks for all the help to all.

qnarkill

Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:09:05 pm

Your welcome, can i ask what went wrong first? :P

katman104

Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:00:44 pm

qnarkill wrote:Your welcome, can i ask what went wrong first? :P

Maybe first check in terminal >alsamixer that you have the volume?

sudo alsa force-reload

sudo alsa force-reload

Performed above steps without restarting PC....Performed each item again, and restarted PC and sound working then. :oops:
Thanks a bunch
Katman

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:40:13 pm

Hi Katman, please PM zorink the forum Admin - you need to change your username as email addresses are not allowed - PM me if you don't here anything within 7 days. After 14 days I may have to ban you but hopefully it won't come to that! ;) :D