This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Desktop in Zorin Ultimate

ian4238

Wed May 04, 2016 1:32:42 pm

When downloading most things (such as email attachments) I prefer them on my desktop. When dealt with they can be either preserved in a file, or deleted. When I downloaded the driver "hplip-316.3" for my new HP printer 3630 I put it on the desktop, but cannot get rid of it now. When I try to delete it, eventually I get the message "because you do not have permission to read it"
I have tried several times, but although I can move it around, I cannot delete it or file it in 'downloads'. Do you have any suggestions.

Also, I have Zorin Lite on my laptop, and the captions under the icons on the desktop are in small sized font (similar to Windows). Under Desktop preferences there is an item "Text: Font Roboto 11" which is changeable. In Zorin Ultimate I find the text on the desktop very large, but cannot find any way to alter it. Is there an adjustment available anywhere?

qnarkill

Wed May 04, 2016 2:08:27 pm

Have you tried to delete file from console?

Open it by pressing
ctrl+alt+t
and
go to the home folder,
cd ~/Desktop/

And finally to remove
sudo rm hplip-316.3

Have you tried to open gnome-tweak-tool and try to change the font size/scaling from there?
This can be done f.e from that console by with the cmd gnome-tweak-tool if you have not.

ian4238

Thu May 05, 2016 1:35:32 pm

Thanks. I tried using Terminal, and after giving my password, got this reply:
rm: cannot remove 'hplip-3.16.3': is a directory

Regarding desktop text, I looked at gnome-tweak-tool in Synaptic, but it looked rather complicated. I may install it later and see if I can do anything without messing up my OS. BTW the font size in this forum is quite big enough. I wonder why they used the big font on the desktop and start menu?

qnarkill

Thu May 05, 2016 2:45:08 pm

Try adding -R switch to delete the directory and all of its contents. Sudo rm -R hplip-316.3

I had to switch HiDPI scaling with tweak-tool to 1,7 to get the desktop looking ok with 4k monitor.

Swarfendor437

Thu May 05, 2016 8:03:12 pm

ian4238 wrote:Thanks. I tried using Terminal, and after giving my password, got this reply:
rm: cannot remove 'hplip-3.16.3': is a directory

Regarding desktop text, I looked at gnome-tweak-tool in Synaptic, but it looked rather complicated. I may install it later and see if I can do anything without messing up my OS. BTW the font size in this forum is quite big enough. I wonder why they used the big font on the desktop and start menu?

Not sure if you are saying it is big enough or NOT big enough? There is a 'change font size' shortcut to the right of the silver bar? You can click on it twice to make bigger, a third time takes it back to original size.

05.png
05.png (26.93 KiB)

You can always use the alternatives just like in that other OS - Ctrl+ + or Ctrl+ Mouse wheel forward! ;) :D (or the slider in the browser you are using!

04.png
04.png (25.32 KiB)

ian4238

Fri May 06, 2016 3:12:39 am

Thankyou quarkill. Tried your suggestion and got:
rm: cannot remove 'hplip-3.16.3': No such file or directory
I hope this version is in Synaptic before I have to reinstall a new LT OS.

Nore for Swarfendor437: I was referring to the text (font) used in Zorin Ultimate for Desktop and Start Menu. It is bigger than that used in Zorin Lite. When I get attachments to emails etc I download them to Desktop until read or dealt with. You can easily reduce the size of the icon, but the caption underneath is too big and clutters up the desktop. When I downloaded the driver (mentioned above) it insisted on putting 2 icons on the desktop, and not in 'Downloads'. Once installed, I was able to move the one icon and file to Downloads, but the other remains on Desktop and will not be removed. It has 2 red stars on it.

ian4238

Fri May 06, 2016 1:35:53 pm

Regarding the hplip icon: After posting the above message, I started my dualboot W7 (first time in 3 months) to check if I had overlooked any folders or files there. Left it for a couple of hours to do a final backup, rejected W10 again, then restarted Z9 Ultimate. Amazingly the hplip icon was gone! So the last entry in Terminal must have worked. Thanks for the help.

Swarfendor437

Fri May 06, 2016 10:00:29 pm

HI, Glad you are now sorted and apologies for the confusion on my part earlier - can this thread be marked as [SOLVED] now? ;) :D