This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] How to slow down the mouse pointer?

4fingers

Wed May 04, 2016 2:27:15 pm

Hi, I have a problem.

When I was opening System Setting to adjust my mouse pointer speed (not Touchpad), I detected that Mouse & Touchpad have no option to adjust. It's only had "Pimary Button" and "Double-Click Speed" in General.

I hope some one can help me as soon as possible. Many thanks! :)

Swarfendor437

Thu May 05, 2016 7:44:18 pm

Hi, You need to install 'dconf-tools' which will place 'dconf Editor' in:

Menu | System Tools.

Open a Terminal: (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and enter

Code:
sudo apt-get install dconf-tools
and press 'Enter' key. You will then be asked for your login password in order for you to run as 'root' (A bit like 'Run as ...' in that other OS ;) :D ) Be careful as you will not see any dots or asterisks as this is part of the intrinsic security present in GNU/Linux. Once the package has been found it will ask if you want to go ahead with the installation and asks you for a Yes (Y) or No (N) - press 'Y' key and press 'Enter key', Once installed, launch 'dconf Editor' - you will notice it looks a little like the Windows Registry - it isn't anything like it!

You will see little arrowheads/triangles pointing right to the left of each main heading in the left pane - left click the one next to 'org' - the full 'tree' is:

org | gnome | settings-daemon | peripherals | mouse

In the right-hand pane once mouse has been selected, make a note of the default settings by taking a screenshot if necessary to get back to where you were - the three main areas for you to look at changing are:

Name Value
drag threshold 8
motion-acceleration -1.0
motion-threshold -1

I cannot find anything on the Internet which gives examples on what the values should be - so it is a game of chance I'm afraid - please note that after changing settings you will need to reboot your machine for the changes to take effect:

54.jpg

4fingers

Fri May 06, 2016 10:54:19 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, You need to install 'dconf-tools' which will place 'dconf Editor' in:

Menu | System Tools.

Open a Terminal: (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and enter

Code:
sudo apt-get install dconf-tools
and press 'Enter' key. You will then be asked for your login password in order for you to run as 'root' (A bit like 'Run as ...' in that other OS ;) :D ) Be careful as you will not see any dots or asterisks as this is part of the intrinsic security present in GNU/Linux. Once the package has been found it will ask if you want to go ahead with the installation and asks you for a Yes (Y) or No (N) - press 'Y' key and press 'Enter key', Once installed, launch 'dconf Editor' - you will notice it looks a little like the Windows Registry - it isn't anything like it!

You will see little arrowheads/triangles pointing right to the left of each main heading in the left pane - left click the one next to 'org' - the full 'tree' is:

org | gnome | settings-daemon | peripherals | mouse

In the right-hand pane once mouse has been selected, make a note of the default settings by taking a screenshot if necessary to get back to where you were - the three main areas for you to look at changing are:

Name Value
drag threshold 8
motion-acceleration -1.0
motion-threshold -1

I cannot find anything on the Internet which gives examples on what the values should be - so it is a game of chance I'm afraid - please note that after changing settings you will need to reboot your machine for the changes to take effect:

54.jpg
Thanks for help. I'm very satisfied :)

Swarfendor437

Fri May 06, 2016 9:59:25 pm

Hi, Glad this got sorted - would you mind sharing what values you chose to get it working for you? ;) :D

MBMz10

Thu May 12, 2016 2:54:56 pm

I know this is marked as solved but I did all the work so here goes...
Normally as my wireless mouse doesn't have a 'speed' adjustment option in System Settings I just plug in a cable USB mouse, make changes and I'm done, just have to go get the mouse to do it and I thought this might make it easier, thought...

I installed dconf tools myself also with intention of showing the 'values' that I used for everyone else. See screen shot showing dconf editor with System Settings panel open in bottom right hand corner.

DconfEditorSysSetting.png

Well I still couldn't see how to adjust mouse speed in dconf editor (no motion-acceleration setting) so I plugged in my USB cabled mouse and it showed up in system settings but still not in dconf.

I am using Zorin OS 11, wondering what version 4fingers is using as looks like it worked for 4fingers but not in my case.
I had restarted the computer and then I removed the wireless mouse and left the 'USB cabled mouse in but same result after another restart.
So still need to plug that trusty old USB cable mouse in to change speed setting, lucky it's not very frequent.

Swarfendor437

Thu May 12, 2016 3:48:38 pm

MBMz10 wrote:I know this is marked as solved but I did all the work so here goes...
Normally as my wireless mouse doesn't have a 'speed' adjustment option in System Settings I just plug in a cable USB mouse, make changes and I'm done, just have to go get the mouse to do it and I thought this might make it easier, thought...

I installed dconf tools myself also with intention of showing the 'values' that I used for everyone else. See screen shot showing dconf editor with System Settings panel open in bottom right hand corner.

DconfEditorSysSetting.png

Well I still couldn't see how to adjust mouse speed in dconf editor (no motion-acceleration setting) so I plugged in my USB cabled mouse and it showed up in system settings but still not in dconf.

I am using Zorin OS 11, wondering what version 4fingers is using as looks like it worked for 4fingers but not in my case.
I had restarted the computer and then I removed the wireless mouse and left the 'USB cabled mouse in but same result after another restart.
So still need to plug that trusty old USB cable mouse in to change speed setting, lucky it's not very frequent.

What is 'telling' from your screenshot is that you don't have two settings present in dconf-tools I installed on 9:

motion-acceleration
motion-threshold

;) :D

MBMz10

Thu May 12, 2016 9:33:59 pm

Correct! Hence my curiosity about what version of Zorin 4fingers was using.

Swarfendor437

Thu May 12, 2016 10:24:32 pm

Well based on the fact that you are using 11 I guess he is using 9 like myself. ;) :D