This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Missing menu bars on windows

zeta

Wed May 11, 2016 12:46:19 am

Somehow my menu bar is isn't attached to the program open, instead it is on the AWN right next to the bluetooth. I use an external screen as dual a set up. so say firefox or another program is open on my tv and the menu bar is on my laptop. see included attachment. Is there a way to restore this without messing up other features?
-Zeta

Swarfendor437

Wed May 11, 2016 9:13:47 pm

Hi, your attachment is not present - when you take a screenshot, please post as .jpg - it is a lot smaller - it should not be more than 250/270 kb in storage space size terms. ;) :D

zeta

Fri May 13, 2016 5:03:51 am

I hope that helped
-Zeta

James tobin

Sat May 14, 2016 1:04:35 am

have you gone on AWN preferences and make sure that there is not a widget enabled causing that?

Another thing that may help us is if you would do a test and open up a lot of programs so that the open programs icons will go into the area where the menu bar tooltips are. Then tell us about the behaviour, does it turn AWN task manager into a scroller list, or do they rudely overlap each other?

I'm suspecting a bad window manager, however zorin's WM is custom so you may need to reinstall the OS in order to reinstall the Window Manager.

Other interesting diagnostic tests would be these:
1. install GNOME or other DE and see if the problem exists there
2. move panel to top/left/right temporarily and see what happens
etc.

Hope this helps! ;) :D

zeta

Sat May 14, 2016 1:21:29 am

Upon several programs open, the menu bar is there for only the Active window. All other windows still do not have menu bar.
I'm not trying to install anything else at the moment, issues with terminal download completions (it takes forever, and I'm pretty sure they aren't finishing). I'm working it out now.
I don't believe I will be trying to reinstall for this one issue. I'm hoping that I can tweak with some features and options.
Which of the AWN preferences do I need to check?
-Zeta

James tobin

Sat May 14, 2016 1:32:46 am

I realize that it is only one set of tooltips for that. My question is if the program icons will overlap the unwanted tooltips or what will be the behavior. possibly open a ton of programs and have one open with the stupid tooltips and post a screenshot.

as for awn preferences look at this screenshot. Then send me one of your own. To get the dialog box you can right click free area of awn and click "preferences".

link for screenshot: https://snag.gy/MP725v.jpg

Also check results of moving AWN panel. It would be nice if you could easily reinstall the AWN panel, however i have tried just INSTALLING it and It is so difficult i was unable to do it. Yes i have experience with extracting source code, but I'm talking about ERRORS outside dependency problems. Hopefully it can be fixed more easily.

zeta

Sat May 14, 2016 3:28:44 am

Screenshot from 2016-05-13 22:53:52.png is an invalid filename.
Ive uploaded photos before, OI dont see what the issue is. I screen shot it, its in .png format. If i rename it to .jpg it cant be read. I've cropped it several times till all it is, is just the AWN on my built in display (where I have my AWN with dual screen). Yes, it still does this after start up without HDMI connected.

James tobin

Sat May 14, 2016 4:44:21 pm

@zeta: try either uploading png to imgur.com or else using print-screen button and select "copy to clipboard" then paste in http://snag.gy . That should work. Then just send us link.

Hope this helps! ;) :D

James tobin

Mon May 16, 2016 2:45:08 am

@zeta: you still around/having the problem?

zeta

Thu May 19, 2016 2:27:09 am

I've been off of here as of late. I have not captured a .jpg of the AWN to submit. why does it even capture in.png!? That's irritating.

James tobin

Thu May 19, 2016 2:56:35 am

gnome-screenshot's default is .png. But you can easily change it. When you take the scereenshot it highlights everything but the ".png". So to change it highlight everything including the .png and rename it filename.jpg . I tested and it worked!

Swarfendor437

Fri May 20, 2016 12:06:47 pm

Check the file properties, I THINK you will find it is still .png file? ;) :D

James tobin

Fri May 20, 2016 11:37:02 pm

nope :D