This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

command to load desktop

James tobin

Fri May 13, 2016 1:21:38 am

Hey i put on openbox on my zorin just for the fun of it and I would like to know the command to load the dekstop icons, desktop background, etc. I know on my chalet it is "xfdesktop" but that doesnt work on zorin.

also i am not sure if you will be able to answer this as it isnt totally related to zorin os but... I added "lxpanel.deskotp" to ~/.config/autostart for openbox and of course it fights with awn when i load zorin. How can i make a DE/WM-specific autostart?

James tobin

Sat May 14, 2016 10:41:29 pm

2 days and no answer.... this is pathetic!

Swarfendor437

Sun May 15, 2016 10:25:20 am

Hi, if you load a different DE don't come crawling back complaining of a broken system - I put LXDE on my Zorin 6 and broke it:

http://gnome-look.org/content/preview.p ... r+Zorin%29

^^^^
A wallpaper I made just before re-installing.

Your 'Chalet' uses 'xfce' - hence 'xfdekstop' which is a totally different DE project to LXDE.

When you get to the login window of Zorin, left-click the 'Z' button top-right and you should get a list of all DE's installed - once you select that, login, and afterward if you logout/shutdown, that will be the same DE you login to next time around. :D

James tobin

Sun May 15, 2016 1:58:33 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, if you load a different DE don't come crawling back complaining of a broken system - I put LXDE on my Zorin 6 and broke it:

http://gnome-look.org/content/preview.p ... r+Zorin%29

^^^^
A wallpaper I made just before re-installing.

Your 'Chalet' uses 'xfce' - hence 'xfdekstop' which is a totally different DE project to LXDE.

When you get to the login window of Zorin, left-click the 'Z' button top-right and you should get a list of all DE's installed - once you select that, login, and afterward if you logout/shutdown, that will be the same DE you login to next time around. :D

Yes, i could log in normally, but i am trying to fiddle with openbox. However, i did figure out how to actually install "xfdesktop4". Every time i load openbox i must manually load lxpanel and xfdesktop.

But i still use zorin default DE too ;) :D

Linx

Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:36:28 pm

The terminal command to start the Display Manager by default is "sudo systemctl start lightdm" you can use the display manager to change the DE to whatever you want, just click on the symbol next to the username.

I have had openbox and there is a steam DE, cinnamon desktop, and a few other installed all at the same time and just switch between them as needed.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:12:36 pm

Hi Linx,

I think he wants individual commands for DE elements, icons, background - not necessarily all at once? (Wait to be corrected!)

What i find works for me when I had a crash messing around with Compiz, I dropped to the terminal login (Ctrl+ Alt+ F4) and at the prompt after logging in just type 'startx'. :D