This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] How to install driver - ASUS USB-AC56 wifi dongle

Credible Hulk

Mon May 16, 2016 1:35:19 am

I just installed Zorin 9 Core on a separate partition on my Windows 10 laptop. I use an ASUS wifi dongle so I can connect to my router on the 5 ghz band. I have the driver CD for this dongle and it does have a Linux driver, however since I'm brand new to Linux/Zorin I haven't got the first clue how to install the driver. The user manual is a joke, all it says is "run the install.sh" file. Umm ok - how? I know double-clicking doesn't work for this type of file. I know it can be run from the command line, trouble is I can't figure out the file path.

To make matters worse, the CD isn't recognized by Zorin, so I tried downloading the driver from the ASUS website. So it's here, but again, can't find the file path. I tried researching commands to display the file path, found three different ways to do it - each gives a different result, none of them work to run the sh file. I've also tried to use Synaptic Package Manager (no idea where/how to find the right files) and Software and Updates. It asks for a CD and then tells me I don't have one because it refuses to recognize the driver CD. I configured the File settings to allow a script/text file to run the script when opened, didn't work. I even downloaded GNU emacs to try and run the file from there - nothing, just line after line of gibberish. I even tried using Wine to install the Windows driver but it doesn't appear to be recognized.

So how can I install this driver? Or any driver, going forward?

Swarfendor437

Mon May 16, 2016 8:32:22 pm

Hi, I am not posting from Zorin at moment. Go to Menu | System Tools | Administration and look for 'windows wireless drivers'. If you have an .inf file it will look for that and install the drivers that way.

James tobin

Mon May 16, 2016 8:43:49 pm

I understand what you are saying about running the sh files. They need to be run in the terminal. On old distributions you would need to cd to the just like DOS, but not in zorin. zorin makes it easier, just follow these steps:

1. Go to the folder that contains the sh file
2. right click anywhere (not on the file) and select "open in terminal"
3. run "sudo ./filename.sh" replacing "filename.sh" with the name of the sh file. (but keep the ./). click enter.
4. Type in your root password. note that while typing no characters will appear, this is fine. Then click enter.
5. Hopefully the sh file runs succesfully.

If the sh file does not run succesfully paste the output that you get.

hope this helps! ;) :D

Credible Hulk

Tue May 17, 2016 1:31:54 am

James tobin wrote:I understand what you are saying about running the sh files. They need to be run in the terminal. On old distributions you would need to cd to the just like DOS, but not in zorin. zorin makes it easier, just follow these steps:

1. Go to the folder that contains the sh file
2. right click anywhere (not on the file) and select "open in terminal"
3. run "sudo ./filename.sh" replacing "filename.sh" with the name of the sh file. (but keep the ./). click enter.
4. Type in your root password. note that while typing no characters will appear, this is fine. Then click enter.
5. Hopefully the sh file runs succesfully.

If the sh file does not run succesfully paste the output that you get.

I downloaded the installation folder containing the .sh file to my desktop. Opened the folder and right-clicked (not on the file). No option whatsoever to open it in Terminal. Tried right clicking on the file itself, "open with" - no option to open with Terminal

I should mention that the command line utility I've been using isn't Terminal, it's Awn Terminal. I don't know if that makes any difference, but it's not listed in the software available to use to run the .sh file.

James tobin

Tue May 17, 2016 1:37:45 am

James tobin wrote:...right click anywhere (not on the file) and select "open in terminal"

I did not say to click on the file itself. I said to click anywhere in the containing folder. To help you understand i have uploaded screenshot to snag.gy..

https://snag.gy/KRPTdQ.jpg

Credible Hulk

Tue May 17, 2016 2:30:02 pm

James tobin wrote:
James tobin wrote:...right click anywhere (not on the file) and select "open in terminal"

I did not say to click on the file itself. I said to click anywhere in the containing folder. To help you understand i have uploaded screenshot to snag.gy..

https://snag.gy/KRPTdQ.jpg

I DID NOT click on the file itself, if you reread my previous post I clearly stated that I clicked "(not on the file itself)". The result was as I stated, NO option to run the .sh file in Terminal.

This morning I did some more research and found out how to open the correct version of Terminal by pressing ctrl-alt-T. I found that it's possible to drag a file from the Files window to Terminal where it appears with its file path. However, when I run the sudo command as you described it tells me "command not found".

patti@patti-HP-Pavilion-TS-15-Notebook-PC:~$ sudo ./'/home/patti/Desktop/linux_drivers/install.sh'
[sudo] password for patti:
sudo: .//home/patti/Desktop/linux_drivers/install.sh: command not found
patti@patti-HP-Pavilion-TS-15-Notebook-PC:~$ sudo ./install.sh
sudo: ./install.sh: command not found
patti@patti-HP-Pavilion-TS-15-Notebook-PC:~$ sudo help
sudo: help: command not found

ls there a different command I can use? Or do I have to install or activate "sudo"?

James tobin

Tue May 17, 2016 6:29:02 pm

if there is no option to "open in terminal" then you will need to cd to the folder that contains the desired sh file. If you want it to be very easy then put it in your home folder. Then you will not need to cd at all as that is the default directory.
Otherwise, let's pertend it's in your downloads/sample folder. You would run "cd ~/Downloads/sample". NOTE THIS IS CASE SENSITIVE!!!!! also ~ stands for your home folder. Or easier, just copy to your home folder.

Then "sudo ./filename.sh" replacing "filename.sh" with the real name of the file

Hope this helps! ;) :D

Credible Hulk

Tue May 17, 2016 8:52:23 pm

James tobin wrote:if there is no option to "open in terminal" then you will need to cd to the folder that contains the desired sh file. If you want it to be very easy then put it in your home folder. Then you will not need to cd at all as that is the default directory.
Otherwise, let's pertend it's in your downloads/sample folder. You would run "cd ~/Downloads/sample". NOTE THIS IS CASE SENSITIVE!!!!! also ~ stands for your home folder. Or easier, just copy to your home folder.

Then "sudo ./filename.sh" replacing "filename.sh" with the real name of the file

Hope this helps! ;) :D

1. As I mentioned in my previous post, every time I try to run the sudo command, I get the message "command not found". I guess I'm dead in the water until this issue is fixed. I spent a long time looking for the sudo command or its files in Package Manager, no dice.

2. I can drag the sh file into terminal to get the file path. I did copy its folder into Home. I didn't copy the file alone because I am guessing it refers to other files in its folder (it's just an install file, not the driver itself). I believe that if I run it on its own it won't work because it can't find the driver files that depend on it.

Swarfendor437

Tue May 17, 2016 9:40:04 pm

Hi, If the driver is in a tarball (.tar, .targzip) format, first extract the file to the Desktop.

1. Open Terminal and CD .. Desktop

Code:
sudo ./install-[name of file if there is one]-.sh
if no name then cd to the Directory where the file is and enter:

Code:
sudo ./install.sh

or

Code:
sudo sh ./install(.sh)

Credible Hulk

Tue May 17, 2016 10:47:43 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, If the driver is in a tarball (.tar, .targzip) format, first extract the file to the Desktop.

Code:

Code:
sudo ./install.sh

or

Code:
sudo sh ./install(.sh)

Before any of this will work - SUDO NEEDS TO WORK!!

I've mentioned more than once that the sudo command does NOT work for me. I get asked for a password, then I get "command not found".

In the meantime, I did extract the tar file to the desktop, but as long as sudo doesn't work and I can't run the .sh file from a graphical interface - I'm dead in the water. I tried searching for everything that contains sudo in Package Manager and installing what I found. Nothing.

James tobin

Tue May 17, 2016 11:40:02 pm

"command not found" error DOES NOT mean that you have a sudo problem. It means that the stuff after the word "sudo" is not correct.

All sudo does if placed before command is run as root. You enter your root password to be able to have root priviledges.

so Sudo does work. Just try the code. If you get "command not found" error then the stuff after sudo needs help. Let me know then. ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Wed May 18, 2016 11:47:58 am

Credible Hulk wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, If the driver is in a tarball (.tar, .targzip) format, first extract the file to the Desktop.

Code:

Code:
sudo ./install.sh

or

Code:
sudo sh ./install(.sh)

Before any of this will work - SUDO NEEDS TO WORK!!

I've mentioned more than once that the sudo command does NOT work for me. I get asked for a password, then I get "command not found".

In the meantime, I did extract the tar file to the desktop, but as long as sudo doesn't work and I can't run the .sh file from a graphical interface - I'm dead in the water. I tried searching for everything that contains sudo in Package Manager and installing what I found. Nothing.

Have you made sure you are not logged in as Guest? ;) :D

James tobin

Wed May 18, 2016 11:51:15 am

@swarfendor437: How could sudo be at fault for "command not found" error?-

Swarfendor437

Wed May 18, 2016 11:55:48 am

In the 'good old' days of GNU/Linux, you had to make yourself a member of the 'sudo'ers' group - this should be there by default - if not it could have been a bad download of the Zorin img or a DVD burned too fast or something other than imgburn used in Windows, or Download Accelerator Manager used to download the .iso. ;) :D

James tobin

Wed May 18, 2016 12:03:02 pm

Another possible thing he is doing is not using the caps correctly for the filename for sudo ./fIlEnAmE.sH :D

Credible Hulk

Wed May 18, 2016 3:19:16 pm

I'm just reading through my previous posts, and I realize I may have sounded pretty rude. I want to apologize for that. I've also been having a lot of trouble with USB keyboard and mouse behaving erratically and it was hard to type yesterday, which caused my temper to get the best of me. I'll post about that in a separate thread.

Anyway, I do appreciate all of the advice so far. I'm still having the same problem with the wireless dongle driver, and I'm thinking the USB connection to the dongle could be affected by the same keyboard/mouse issue as well.

James tobin

Wed May 18, 2016 3:43:43 pm

that's ok :)

Often in Linux you need to have the hardware (your wifi dongle) plugged in durring installation so try that

then try to copy the sh file to your home folder (start menu/home folder upper left). Then you dont need to cd. THEN run:

Code:
sudo ./filename.sh

Then you MUST unplug the device and plug it back in. If you cant do this then restart computer instead.

ALSO PASTE THE OUTPUT IN THE FORUM in case there is an error! :) ;) :D

Credible Hulk

Wed May 18, 2016 5:49:23 pm

James tobin wrote:that's ok :)

Often in Linux you need to have the hardware (your wifi dongle) plugged in durring installation so try that

then try to copy the sh file to your home folder (start menu/home folder upper left). Then you dont need to cd. THEN run:

Code:
sudo ./filename.sh

Then you MUST unplug the device and plug it back in. If you cant do this then restart computer instead.

Quick question: does the install.sh (the actual filename) have to be in the same folder with the actual driver and other files while sudo is being run? Or do I have to copy the associated files and folders to the home folder as well?

Second question: what causes the "command not found" error when I try to run sudo? I am prompted for a password first, then I get the error message.

FYI I have always kept the dongle connected while trying to install these drivers. I found a command "lusb" which shows me that the dongle is being detected.

Credible Hulk

Wed May 18, 2016 6:31:56 pm

James tobin wrote:that's ok :)

Code:
sudo ./filename.sh

OK here's what happens when I try to run the sudo command:

Code:
patti@patti-HP-Pavilion-TS-15-Notebook-PC:~$ sudo ./install.sh
[sudo] password for patti:
sudo: ./install.sh: command not found

I confirmed that I am not logged in as Guest by logging out and back in.
The name of the file is all in lower case. I checked again to make sure the ASUS dongle is detected:

Code:
patti@patti-HP-Pavilion-TS-15-Notebook-PC:~$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 04f2:b40e Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd HP Truevision HD camera
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 04f3:0280 Elan Microelectronics Corp.
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 005 Device 004: ID 0b05:17d2 ASUSTek Computer, Inc.
Bus 005 Device 002: ID 046d:c52b Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Here's the text of the install.sh file itself. Some misspellings and typos like "foulder" for folder, could they be the reason it won't run?

Code:
#!/bin/bash
# Auto install for 8192cu
# September, 1 2010 v1.0.0, willisTang
#
# Add make_drv to select chip type
# Novembor, 21 2011 v1.1.0, Jeff Hung
################################################################################

echo "##################################################"
echo "Realtek Wi-Fi driver Auto installation script"
echo "Novembor, 21 2011 v1.1.0"

################################################################################
#         Decompress the driver source tal ball
cd driver
Drvfolder=`ls |grep .tar.gz`
echo "Decompress the driver source tar ball:"
echo "   "$Drvfolder
tar zxvf $Drvfolder

Drvfoulder=`ls |grep -iv '.tar.gz'`
echo "$Drvfolder"
cd  $Drvfolder

#         If makd_drv exixt, execute it to select chip type
if [ -e ./make_drv ]; then
   ./make_drv
fi

#                       make clean
echo "Authentication requested [root] for make clean:"
if [ "`uname -r |grep fc`" == " " ]; then
        sudo su -c "make clean"; Error=$?
else
        su -c "make clean"; Error=$?
fi

#         Compile the driver
echo "Authentication requested [root] for make driver:"
   sudo su -c make; Error=$?
else   
   su -c make; Error=$?
fi
#         Check whether or not the driver compilation is done
module=`ls |grep -i 'ko'`
if [ "$Error" != 0 ];then
   echo "Compile make driver error: $Error"
   echo "Please check error Mesg"
   exit
else
   echo "Compile make driver ok!!"   
fi

echo "Authentication requested [root] for remove driver:"
   sudo su -c "rmmod $module"
   echo "Authentication requested [root] for insert driver:"
   sudo su -c "insmod $module"
   echo "Authentication requested [root] for install driver:"
   sudo su -c "make install"
else
   echo "Authentication requested [root] for remove driver:"
   su -c "rmmod $module"
   echo "Authentication requested [root] for insert driver:"
   su -c "insmod $module"
   echo "Authentication requested [root] for install driver:"
   su -c "make install"
fi
echo "The Setup Script is completed !"

James tobin

Wed May 18, 2016 7:08:47 pm

again I will ask, is ./install.sh in the home directory? (looks like it would be /home/patti)

It looks like you said that install.sh is all lowercase, that's good to confirm.

If it is any error other than those 2 then it wont say "command not found" So that's all I can think of yet that would cause such an output.

open your start menu click "home folder" in upper right and make sure that you have the file there. :D

Credible Hulk

Thu May 19, 2016 2:45:40 am

James tobin wrote:again I will ask, is ./install.sh in the home directory? (looks like it would be /home/patti)

It looks like you said that install.sh is all lowercase, that's good to confirm.

If it is any error other than those 2 then it wont say "command not found" So that's all I can think of yet that would cause such an output.

open your start menu click "home folder" in upper right and make sure that you have the file there. :D

Yep - the file is in my home folder.

The Terminal program I'm using is opened with ctrl-alt-T (I seem to have at least two Terminal/command line programs installed).

Is there a harmless sudo command I could use as a test? It might help to confirm if the issue is with sudo or the file I'm trying to run. I thought of manually running the commands within the .sh file but I don't want to screw anything up. Maybe something didn't get installed properly with Zorin? I get at least two or three crashes of Zorin itself per day.

In case this matters: I installed Zorin via iso file burned to DVD. I burned it at the lowest speed setting available, which I think was 4x. It's installed on a partition alongside a Windows 10 partition (at least for now).

James tobin

Thu May 19, 2016 2:57:41 am

yeah, try something like "sudo apt-get install kile". kile is a program that i dreamed out of the blue that doesnt come with zorin os.

Credible Hulk

Thu May 19, 2016 2:57:44 pm

James tobin wrote:yeah, try something like "sudo apt-get install kile". kile is a program that i dreamed out of the blue that doesnt come with zorin os.

That worked, installed what looked like a bunch of fonts. But the install.sh still wouldn't run using the same syntax.

So I did some resarch and found this:

Code:
sudo sh ./install.sh

That worked to run the install file. It extracted the tar ball but then, more errors about "can't CD to the [tar filename]. I copied the extracted folders from the tar file into the Home folder with the sh file. Ran it again, now getting this:

Code:
Decompress the driver source tar ball:

tar: Old option 'f' requires an argument.
Try 'tar --help' or 'tar --usage' for more information.

Authentication requested [root] for make clean:
./install.sh: 38: [: unexpected operator
make: *** No rule to make target `clean'.  Stop.
Authentication requested [root] for make driver:
./install.sh: 48: [: unexpected operator
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
##################################################
Compile make driver error: 2
Please check error Mesg

I went into the .sh file (text editor) and deleted the "f" to see what would happen. It just hung. Back goes the f and I'll check to see what arguments "f" requires.

James tobin

Thu May 19, 2016 3:20:13 pm

reminds me of an authentication error. Did you make sure to put the "sudo" before the command?

Also you said you were editing the file. Did you make any other edits other than that "f" letter? maybe changed some path? Do you still have the original? They aren't made to edit.

Credible Hulk

Sun May 22, 2016 1:49:26 am

James tobin wrote:reminds me of an authentication error. Did you make sure to put the "sudo" before the command?

Also you said you were editing the file. Did you make any other edits other than that "f" letter? maybe changed some path? Do you still have the original? They aren't made to edit.

Yes I'm using the same command syntax as before: sudo sh ./install.sh

Still no luck, and I'm thinking it's caused by a poorly written "sh" file rather than Zorin or my laptop.

I have the original copy of the script backed up, and it's on the driver CD as well. When I run the script from the Home folder, the errors are caused by this line:

Code:
tar zxvf $Drvfolder

I had to correct "Drvfolder" because it was misspelled "Drvfoulder". I looked up the help files for tar, and found that a "-" was missing before "zxvf", so it wouldn't run at all. I added the "-" just before "zxvf" and then it would run, but with the following error:

Code:
tar: option requires an argument -- 'f'

I tried adding the arguments listed in the help file for the "-f" but none of them fixed the problem. The "z" in the above line doesn't correspond to anything in the tar help file, but if I remove it the script just hangs. I played around with hyphens, spaces etc but got errors about being unable to find the tar file at all, or "child" folders missing. In other words - it can't find the tar file to extract and that's it. The tar file is in the Home folder with the .sh file. And the .sh file comes from the tar file in the first place. There are no install or sh files on the CD until you extract the tar file.

Then to add to my woes I keep having to hard boot the computer every few minutes because the keyboard and mouse keep dying. It took three attempts to write this post. I did try going to the laptop manufacturer's website to see if they had any linux drivers, but they only had a link to a generic Linux archive site with no explanation of what I was downloading (a large number of packages). I installed them anyway and they didn't make a difference.

Credible Hulk

Sun May 22, 2016 5:52:02 pm

FYI I managed to get the driver installed this morning.

I decided to start from scratch and deleted all of the files and folders associated with the driver. I then downloaded the tar file from the manufacturer's website and extracted it to my home folder. I found it contained some different files and folders, along with the install.sh file. I was able to run the file again using the same syntax "sudo sh ./install.sh". This time there were no errors.

Next, I checked the wireless settings and found it was finally "seeing" my 5G network, and I was able to connect to it with no problems.

Thanks everyone for the help and advice!

James tobin

Sun May 22, 2016 8:21:44 pm

I'm so glad you got your problem resolved :D