This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

nVidia GeForce Go 7400 Blank Desktop Bug

SMGJohn

Tue May 17, 2016 8:34:36 pm

I own a Dell XPS M1210 with nVidia GeForce Go 7400 iGPU, my issue is that Zorin OS both 9 and 11 wont load the desktop after I login, I am greeted with a blank screen displaying only the wallpaper and nothing else, however if I boot into safe mode (recovery mode) I get the desktop loading just fine, everything works so its clearly a GPU driver issue now the thing is my GPU works just fine in every other Linux like Ubuntu, Mint etc with open source and nVidia drivers.

I have tried multiple suggestions from other forums regarding reinstallation of headers, nVidia drivers including closed and open source. But to no avail does it work, I have the same issue no matter what I do, its a real shame because Zorin OS looks like the kind of Linux I have been looking for, and now it wont even work on me thanks to something possibly just nVidia screwing me over for the 5th billion time, is there any suggestions of what I could be doing wrong? I have tried both nVidia drivers and the open source ones, none work.
Perhaps my iGPU is too old for Zorin desktop environment?? It works with KDE Plasma which is even heavier than Zorin desktop.
It of course also work with Windows 8.1 and 10 just fine.

Swarfendor437

Tue May 17, 2016 9:18:09 pm

Have your suggestions included pressing the 'E' on your keyboard at boot time when GRUB launches? After doing so try these commands to add at the end of the boot command line - remembering to press the space bar first and between each command:

Code:
acpi=off nomodeset xforcevesa

Then press the enter key.

You may also want to try following decalman's excellent guide on Text installation of Zorin:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8004&p=38810&hilit=text+installation#p38714

SMGJohn

Wed May 18, 2016 8:18:42 pm

None of the options worked at all, after I installed the nVidia drivers my empty desktop now turns black after 10 - 20 seconds and safe mode no longer works.
I have no ides what it can be at this point, this is the only distro that does not like my nVidia iGPU

Swarfendor437

Fri May 20, 2016 12:05:21 pm

Have you tried the text method of installation? :D