This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How do I add the terminal to the taskbar

jacatone

Wed May 18, 2016 10:30:49 pm

I'm using Zorin 9 Lite. I use the terminal a lot and would like to just add it to the taskbar rather that having to go through the menu bar all the time. Anyone know how to do that?

James tobin

Thu May 19, 2016 2:06:40 am

i dont know about lite as i have ultimate, hope these instructions work for ultimate:

1. open terminal
2. right click icon in panel and say "pin application"

jacatone

Thu May 19, 2016 4:07:31 am

Yeah, I tried that. Only gives me "add to Desktop".

James tobin

Thu May 19, 2016 11:47:23 am

Wierd!

Ok, here's a better way. right click your taskbar. Hit "preferences". Go to the "applets" tab. scroll down the list to the "terminal applet" gizmo.

To add it double click it. It then appears at the end of the little list below as well as on your taskbar. Now you need to rearrange it and put it where it belongs.
On the little box below where you double clicked the terminal applet called "active applets" you must drag the new terminal symbol to where you want it. Experiment until satisfied! ;) :D

screenshot:
[warning: may have expired if this is an older thread]

jacatone

Thu May 19, 2016 9:26:04 pm

Don't seem to have that in the lite version.

James tobin

Thu May 19, 2016 11:10:05 pm

oh no :( I have ultimate.

What are your hardware specifications? zorin lite is good for either running of of usb sticks instead of HDD's or else very low RAM like 512 MB or below. If you have 512 mb or more (512 is controversial) you may just want to go for zorin core/ultimate 32 bit. They're much better. I'll also assure you that ultimate doesn't use up more RAM etc because of it's features, just more HDD space for all the extra programs. If you're low on HDD space go for core. Core will still go well on extremely small HDD's even lower than 18 GB. I am not sure about zorin but i have run new linux on 8 GB VM's that are just as new as zorin.

Swarfendor437

Fri May 20, 2016 12:09:27 pm

Noooo! It will run like a 3-legged dog! (Due to kernel as much as anything and Gnome DE - Lite uses LXDE. :o

James tobin

Fri May 20, 2016 11:40:49 pm

@jacatone: what are your specs? @swarfendor437: can you elaborate? are you saying jacatone shouldnt get core/ultimate or that 512 wont work well with core/ultimate? Also at what point in how low RAM goes should lite be used instead of core/ultimate 32 bit?

Swarfendor437

Sat May 21, 2016 11:55:11 am

Earlier versions of Zorin could have run on 256 Mb - Core works best with a MINIMUM of 1 Gb. Trust me I have tried Ultimate on a 512 Mb RAM'd Notebook and it is painfully slooooow! @James tobin: And please, read the posts carefully before providing assistance - Lite is a TOTALLY different setup.

@jacatone - have you followed Wolfman's post-install guide for Lite?:

viewtopic.php?p=22914#p22914

;) :D

James tobin

Sat May 21, 2016 1:27:33 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote: Core works best with a MINIMUM of 1 Gb.

is that 64 bit or 32 bit?

Swarfendor437

Sun May 22, 2016 11:37:54 am

If you want a stable system, I would opt for 2 GB RAM - I have run Zorin 6 on 1.5 Gb. ;)

jacatone

Mon May 23, 2016 11:19:59 pm

I gave up on Zorin. It's difficult to use and too buggy. Was able to get Linux Lite v2.8 installed instead. Works much better.

James tobin

Mon May 23, 2016 11:22:18 pm

>:C

thanks for trying :D

Swarfendor437

Tue May 24, 2016 9:32:46 pm

Sorry for delay, but it is oh so simple!:

49.jpg

Linx

Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:52:50 pm

Right click on the application launch bar, and click on application launch bar settings, expand the Accessories click on Terminal, and click Add.

The simple way of clicking on the application launch bar is to right click on the firefox icon (assuming it there).

I threw Zorin 11 Lite in a VM to get this, let me know if you have any issues.

svx-biker

Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:53:42 am

The trick really is to open the desired program first. THEN on the icon in the taskbar right-click and add as launcher.

It doesn't work if you want to add it from the programs list when the program is not active (started).