This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

triple booting windows, Ubuntu, Zorin

Phiver

Fri May 20, 2016 1:48:19 pm

Hello Zorin community. I am new to Linux OSs. I recently installed Ubuntu and dual boot with windows 10. After doing some research on Zorin, I want to add it to my computer. I am wondering if anyone else has done this and if they have encountered any problems.

Ubuntu installed Grub on my computer. Will Zorin automatically appear on the list of OSs?

Swarfendor437

Fri May 20, 2016 10:49:00 pm

Hi, I 'think' you may have some issues there because:

Windows 10 (even on a none UEFI bios'ed motherboard) creates 3 primary partitions - your ubuntu will have created the 4th one - you can only have 4 primary partitions on any system, regardless of how many HDD's you have. Unfortunately, Zorin does not come with UEFI like Ubuntu does - you would have to play with Rufus to create a UEFI bootable Zorin on USB - which I don't personally know how to do. ;) :D

Phiver

Sat May 21, 2016 1:17:14 pm

bump for any help

Swarfendor437

Sun May 22, 2016 11:36:11 am

bumping is not allowed on this forum - I gave you the answer I believe - any future bump posts could lead to a temporary ban - continual practice a permanent one! You have been warned!! ;) :D

Phiver

Sun May 22, 2016 2:23:34 pm

Ok. Thanks for letting me know. Is it possible that someone else on this forum may know the answer? If so, how do I keep my thread up so they may see it?

Swarfendor437

Tue May 24, 2016 8:42:01 pm

Just leave it open - your alternative would be to attempt to 'chainload' your OS's but not sure how that would work with Windows 10 being around!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_loading

Phiver

Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:05:09 pm

As it turns out, I' not keen on Ubuntu. Is it easy to set up a dual boot with Zorin?
I'd like to remove ubuntu, and dual boot with zorin. Ubuntu automatically set up Grub. Will Zorin do the same thing?

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:28:39 pm

It Will - can you still boot into Windows 7? Can you create a 'repair disc' - just type 'repair disc' and you will be prompted to create a repair CD to burn. Once done that, boot with Repair CD - choose Repair from the options that come up and choose 'advanced' option, then choose 'cmd' to enter the following commands:

Code:
bootrec.exe /FixBoot

then

Code:
bootrec.exe /FixMbr

Be advised that Zorin is a fork of Ubuntu but with a different take on things but it still uses the Software Centre/er and Synaptic Package Manager for installing software. If you want to dual-boot the painless way:

https://vimeo.com/110085401

Phiver

Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:21:09 pm

Thank you sir. Very helpful. Is it safe to assume that all of the same applies if I have windows 10 instead of 7?

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:14:14 pm

No - if you tried to use a Windows 7 repair disc on 10 it would say it is not compatible - I must admit I don't know if 10 comes with the option of creating a repair disc - however I did download the Windows 10 install disc so will try that - or should I even bother?:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/06/01 ... for_90000/

svx-biker

Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:02:44 am

If you update Windows 7 to Windows 10 the installer will create 3 primary partitions
System
Windows
Rescue

Even if you had perfect setup before you will have to reinstall grub after the Windows upgrade. I did this on my Medion notebook and was glad I had created a grub rescue USB before.

The problem really is the W.... wanting to "own" the whole machine.