This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[ resolved the naughty way ] goofs with wifi connecting

James tobin

Sat May 21, 2016 2:52:30 am

Hey, I have recently been having frustrating goofs with connecting to different wifi connections. So I will be in one location connected to wifi then i suspend computer and move to another location with a whole different wifi network and wake up, and it shows no networks on the tab. I tried going onto AWN settings and then remove/add the system indicator applet and that doesnt work. I will disable/reinable wifi and that dont usually work, though sometimes but rarely it does after a bit. Even disabling/reinabling network doesnt help. Only other option: restart. And that's not so fun cuz it takes a long time to reboot my computer and I dont like to do that. Even if I'm not the driver and i'm using computer in the car and I turn wifi off, turn it back on and it doesnt find networks even if i wait a while. Even more suprising, if I am on same network, say at home, and I suspend my computer and then wake back up, i now have no internet and have to restart to get it. It doesn't even show networks at all. Restarting is getting to be very frustrating. What's more, this just started, it never used to do this. HELP!

diagnostic information:

release: zorin 11 ultimate
hardware: acer aspire V5
[additional wifi dongle netgear]

Swarfendor437

Sat May 21, 2016 12:05:06 pm

Hi, first off some notebooks don't reconnect to network even when running Windows 7 (experience of this in a school that was using Samsung P530's - it would not reconnect from sleep). The fact that you are using a dongle also will also contribute to the issue - I think dongles generally com alive at boot time, not woken from sleep time - there are issues with 'hibernation' in GNU/Linux that still have issues to this day. I do not think there is a solution to this unless someone else knows differently, I am happy to be corrected. ;) :D

James tobin

Sat May 21, 2016 1:30:56 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, first off some notebooks don't reconnect to network even when running Windows 7 (experience of this in a school that was using Samsung P530's - it would not reconnect from sleep). The fact that you are using a dongle also will also contribute to the issue - I think dongles generally com alive at boot time, not woken from sleep time - there are issues with 'hibernation' in GNU/Linux that still have issues to this day. I do not think there is a solution to this unless someone else knows differently, I am happy to be corrected. ;) :D

The problem is it never used to do this.

James Tobin wrote:What's more, this just started, it never used to do this

What could cause it to suddenly quit?

Swarfendor437

Sun May 22, 2016 11:39:35 am

Kernel updates? Try booting with an earlier kernel by choosing 'Advanced' (2nd menu item in GRUB).

Oh, and don't be offended, could you shrink your sig - it is starting to give me a headache! ;) :D

James tobin

Sun May 22, 2016 1:44:37 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:could you shrink your sig - it is starting to give me a headache! ;) :D

@Swarfendor437: I wish... I host that image with servimg.com and it doesnt give me much options as to resolution, the next lower resolution is very small. Do you know of an alternative to servimg that gives me more options so I can get a more optimal resolution? thanks!

Swarfendor437

Tue May 24, 2016 8:38:50 pm

Replace with text in quotes? ;) :D

MBMz10

Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:01:38 am

Have you tried removing the dongle and reinserting it again, and/or even into a different USB port?

James tobin

Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:17:28 am

Unfortunately I have been having so many problems with my install that I wiped it. Chalet OS is on there now. I was going to wait until zorin 12 came out but now unexpected turn of events I become moderator in Chalet OS forums (meh) but I think I'll try to get Zorin OS on my Toshiba in the near future :D

MBMz10

Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:16:54 am

So did the problem go away with the new OS install?

James tobin

Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:48:34 am

yes, it did :)

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:09:41 pm

Hmm, that is interesting! I did post on here stating that Zorin failed to pickup my scanner under simple scan but Deepin 15.1 worked out of the box - suspect they need to do some major overhauld on parts of the OS and firmware? ;) :D