This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Setup LAN (workgroup), Linux workstations only

thodanast

Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:03:27 pm

I've clean installed ZorinOS9 eduLite 32bit in 11 old workstations which I want to use for learning purproses inside a primary school computers lab. I've no intention to set up a server for me in order to make use of users remote authentication or administrative automated tasks. But I do want to see the LAB's Linux workstations wherever I may sit and access shared resources with reading permissions in each one. For now I'm not able to "see" the network linux clients when selecting network in file manager regardless of Samba configuration. Sometimes I get the error "cannot resolve host_XY" when working in XY's terminal but all the pcs get an ip and connect to the internet lying in the same subnet. Any ideas from experience are welcome, thank you.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:25:19 pm

Hi, please take time to look at this thread from ubuntuforums:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1162670

You could try and PM dkassemos who wrote this very good 'how-to' which I made 'Global':

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7474

thodanast

Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:32:48 am

Swarfendor437 this a valuable topic, thank you much. At first I'II try Samba or NFS in all clients and if it's not working then I'II try this server implementation by dkassemos.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:24:31 am

Glad to help friend! ;-) :D