This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin no longer starts

Alibert

Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:41:44 am

Hi there fellow Zoriners :)
I have three computers, one of which is a slim PC (cannot say what brand I have bought it from Amazon) that is on dual boot: Windows Xp / Zorin. The problem is Zorin no longer loads. It starts loading but stops at some point and I get a black screen, and the last sentence displayed is :"stopping system V run level compatibility"_ OK.
And it stays frozen on this page. You could go for a 10 miles and come back to find it in the same state..............
What do you think I should do to get my slim PC back to its normal state of "health"?
Thanks in advance for all help.
Chris.

Swarfendor437

Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:57:26 pm

Alibert

Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:51:59 am

Hello Swarfendor437. This page does not help, really. How can you type any command in a terminal window when the bloody system simply does not load? I am quite willing to acknowledge I am no expert user, I understand practically nothing about code or programming_ Mind you, if I did, I would not even consider help forums_ I think I have seen something about grub commands, but again, I have absolutely no idea which command I should type.

Swarfendor437

Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:15:39 pm

OK, make sure that you have your PC connected to your router, choose the second menu option in GRUB - the boot menu - and choose the 2nd option from the menu that opens - a 'safe mode'/advanced boot option.

Select 'DPKG' from the list so that it searches for any missing dependencies. After it has fnished, shut down the machine - DON'T select 'Continue'. Re-boot and see if anything has improved. ;) :D ]

The other thing is - did this go pear-shaped after you installed a kernel update? ;) :D