This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

HP printer dependencies

new_pingu

Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:38:21 am

Hi all,
trying to install a HP 5740 using the automatic install script and after much searching and using synaptics and apt-get I've resolved all the dependencies except one.

sane-devel I can't find it I've tried searching in synaptics, it doesn't come up. Tried sudo apt-get install sane-devel and I get E: Unable to locate package sane-devel

any help would be greatly appreciated as I can't ditch windows if I can't print.

BTW I tried installing by just using add printer and following the prompts but whilst it looks like it is installed and the printer even beeps when I print a test page nothing actually happens.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:42:27 am

Hi, Please follow Wolfman's excellent Post-Install Guide and also read the section on Printers - let us know if that helps. Especially the section marked 'Add Printers' be sure to read the links also provided there too. ;) :D

sane-devel is for scanning not for printing! ;) :D

Lastly, what version of Zorin?

new_pingu

Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:17:34 am

Well I read the guide and did a clean install of Zorin 9.1 updated everything still no luck. the HP tool doesn't detect my printer at all either wireless or when I connect it directly via usb. Adding the printer via system settings it is correctly detected and appears to install but when I try to print a test page nothing useful happens. The printer beeps and printing comes up on the screen but nothing actually prints and the print que clears. I really like the look and feel of Zorin but I'm having issues getting things to work so I might have to keep trying various distros until I find one I like that does everything I need.

Swarfendor437

Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:10:32 pm

I know it is near to end of life but I have had a better experience with Zorin 11 - both simple scan and the all-in-one canon printer worked straight away! :D