This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How do I get Windows based programs to work?

christaliise

Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:49:11 pm

I have 3 laptops;

(1) A new laptop I bought at the beginning of May 2016, and have installed Ubuntu, SolydK, Debian and now Zorin. It is a compact unit, with a fast processor, but not yet connected to the Internet.
(2) The laptop that I'm currently using, which I bought about 5 years ago, with Windows 10, but it previously had Windows 7. It has always been slow even with Windows 7. Some of my problems maybe caused by the processor, and or the Internet connection. I hate using it. It is the only connection I have to the Internet.
(3) A laptop I bought around 10 years ago. It was the cheapest I could buy at the time. It had Windows XP, and was fast. But it died from overuse. It needs a new harddrive, and the data transferred. I had no complaints with it.

The reason I have trialed so many OSs is that my ISP is Windows based, and operates via a USB dongle. Zorin appears to be the only OS that is compatible with Windows based programs, but I'm having doubts.

When I first plugged in the USB dongle to the Windows XP and Windows 7 laptops, the ISP console automatically installs and is located in Program Files folder.

But when I plug in the USB dongle to Zorin laptop nothing happens. So I copied the folder in Programs Files of Windows 10 laptop, pasted onto a CD, then inserted the CD into my new Zorin laptop, copied and pasted into Wine's Program Files folder, clicked on the .exe icon, and a folder appeared with 4 files, so again nothing happened.

I have studied viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2380 [STICKY] HOW TO INSTALL AND SETUP VIRTUALBOX, and downloaded Virtualbox in my Windows 10 laptop, copied and pasted onto a CD, but it appears that I need to download a Windows OS. I prefer Windows XP but cannot find anywhere to download it from. I found http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/download-w ... rosoft-si/ which directed to https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/m ... s/windows/ but Windows XP appears to be out of date, and not included. I do not want to go back to Windows 7.

I also have a small text editor that I want to transfer from my Windows 10 laptop, to my Zorin laptop, and I have copied and pasted the same as above, but it does not work. I realise programs normally need to be installed into a computer rather than copy & paste as I have done, but the text editor I'm referring to, I bought about 15 years ago and was installed in an old Windows 95 computer. I simply copied & pasted the folder into the Windows XP laptop and did the same in the Windows 7 laptop, and in both laptops it worked very good.

Can someone guide me please?

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:54:36 pm

OK, first off is your main issue getting the text editor to work? Can you tell us the name of the package? ;) :D

christaliise

Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:22:49 am

My primary objective is to get connected to the Internet by getting the USB dongle to work, then the text editor.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:47:30 am

And the name and type of dongle? ;) :D

christaliise

Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:40:21 am

I don't know the name & type of the dongle. It was given to me 4 years ago and no doubt was part of an Internet connection package. It has the ISP name on it and the console that appears when it is plugged into a Windows computer is also exclusive to the ISP.

I have moved forward a little since my last post. I have both the text editor and the ISP loaded into Wine/Program Files folder. I right clicked on the .exe icons then clicked on "Open With" and then "Wine Windows Program Loader". Now when I double click on the .exe icons (1) ISP - The console appears and everything seems to be working except connection to the USB port, whether or not the dongle is inserted. When the dongle is inserted into a Windows computer a message appears saying "Detecting device" and then after a few seconds, in the console the signal strength appears, then connection can be made. Nothing happens when plugged into the Zorin computer. (2) UltraEdit - The program opens but with a Program Error notice. "The program UltraEdit has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." and "This can be caused by a problem in the program or a deficiency in Wine. You may want to check the Application Database (https://appdb.winehq.org/) for tips about running this application." UltraEdit does appear in appdb.winehq.org database. The version I have is around 15 years old so I guess it is 32 bit whereas my new laptop is 64 bit, I don't know if that makes it impossible to work. I am addicted to this program and do want it working in my new laptop.

qnarkill

Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:33:44 pm

christaliise

Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:54:53 pm

I received some help from forum.winehq.org. The USB dongle is unlikely to work in Wine. Hardware has to be working in the host system for Wine to see it.

How do I find a terminal in Zorin? Off memory, in Ubuntu I just right clicked on the desktop and selected "terminal" but that does not work with Zorin.

Also how do I create a shortcut icon in Zorin, the same as can be done in Windows?

qnarkill

Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:15:55 pm

ctrl+alt+t

shortcut to do what, depends on that?

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:50:28 pm

Hi, after opening the terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) enter:

Code:
lsusb -v

and post back the results. ;)

christaliise

Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:59:51 pm

I don't know if you meant "CODE: SELECT ALL" or "CODE: SELECT ALL lsust -v"

The results for both;

CODE:: command not found

christaliise

Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:10:44 pm

The shortcut I was referring to is if there is an .exe icon in Windows, and I right click, an option is "Create shortcut" and then the shortcut can be moved to the desktop, and the program can be executed from the desktop, instead of going into the Program Files folder.

It appears that can't be done in Zorin. If it can, then I want to know how?

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:32:48 pm

christaliise wrote:I don't know if you meant "CODE: SELECT ALL" or "CODE: SELECT ALL lsust -v"

The results for both;

CODE:: command not found

Apologies, typo - code select all - this copies what I have entered into your clipboard, open a terminal, paste the command into the terminal, press the Enter key and copy and paste back your output here please. Be sure to have the dongle attached before you run the command. ;) :D

Code:
lsusb -v

christaliise

Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:20:20 am

I don't know what "lsusb -v" is for. It appears as if it is entered by the Zorin website. If I open the terminal, paste the command "CODE: SELECT ALL" into the terminal, and press the Enter key, I get this result "CODE:: command not found"

I can not copy and paste and send back from my Zorin laptop, coz it's not connected to the Internet, which is my primary objective in writing this post.

I have been told by forum.winehq.org. The USB dongle is unlikely to work in Wine. Hardware has to be working in the host system for Wine to see it.

I am using my Windows 10 laptop to communicate here.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:40:18 pm

OK, just checked this out - with things moving on (browsers an' all) when you click on 'select all' this used to copy to the clipboard automatically, what you need to do these days is click on the element that reads 'select all' you will see it highlight 'lsusb' - now right-click 'lsusb' select 'copy' from the context menu - and in an open terminal, right-click, select 'Paste' and press enter. 'lsusb' gives a 'verbose' report about all your machines usb ports and paraphernalia!

Well verbose did not give the information I expected - just copy and paste

Code:
lsusb

e.g. you should get something like this:

swarfendor437@zorin1132bit:~$ lsusb
Bus 009 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 05e3:0723 Genesys Logic, Inc. GL827L SD/MMC/MS Flash Card Reader
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 004: ID 0846:4260 NetGear, Inc. WG111v3 54 Mbps Wireless [realtek RTL8187B]
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 04a9:177c Canon, Inc.
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 006 Device 002: ID 1bcf:0005 Sunplus Innovation Technology Inc. Optical Mouse
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 002: ID 1a2c:4e2f China Resource Semico Co., Ltd
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

;) :D