This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Lenovo brightness control not working Zorin 9

Freeatlast

Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:26:30 pm

A few weeks ago I put Z9 on my wife's lenovo laptop. Everything was working fine until I tried turning down the screen brightness. I tried from the keyboard controls then from the Zorin System Settings menu. Nothing happens. I worked up until a few days ago.

Specs
Mem 10.7 GiB
AMD A8-6410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics × 4
Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.4, 128 bits)
64-bit

Any ideas? (fortunately the screen IS bright so I can use it ok.)

Here is what the Os says my graphics h/w is:
*-display UNCLAIMED
description: VGA compatible controller
product: Mullins [Radeon R4/R5 Graphics]
vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
physical id: 1
bus info: pci@0000:00:01.0
version: 05
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=0

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:31:04 am

Freeatlast

Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:14:24 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, see if this works:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1458&hilit=+BRIGHTNESS#p52728

No, as I stated in the OP, the Zorin system settings adjustment slider doesn't work either.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:47:50 am

No, I was pointing you to a link that adds a little application to the top panel in gnome desktop. ;) :D

Freeatlast

Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:00:39 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:No, I was pointing you to a link that adds a little application to the top panel in gnome desktop. ;) :D

I see now. I don't think that will work as I cannot even do it via the OS control.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:01:54 pm

Hi, I could not get it to work for me because I have a desktop - it detects if you have a backlit panel. ;)

svx-biker

Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:22:13 am

Have you tried to dim while starting? I had the issue with some Linux distro and could adjust brightness when booting.

Freeatlast

Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:58:43 pm

svx-biker wrote:Have you tried to dim while starting? I had the issue with some Linux distro and could adjust brightness when booting.

Yes, that doesn't work. This looks to be one of many Ubuntu's problems with drivers. Not ready for prime time

Swarfendor437

Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:42:01 pm

Freeatlast wrote:
svx-biker wrote:Have you tried to dim while starting? I had the issue with some Linux distro and could adjust brightness when booting.

Yes, that doesn't work. This looks to be one of many Ubuntu's problems with drivers. Not ready for prime time

Wrong - Lenovo is the culprit not providing the drivers needed for GNU/Linux - a mistake made by many a Noob - let's blame GNU/Linux for things not working! ;) :D

Freeatlast

Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:36:51 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:
Freeatlast wrote:

Wrong - Lenovo is the culprit not providing the drivers needed for GNU/Linux - a mistake made by many a Noob - let's blame GNU/Linux for things not working! ;) :D

Then Linus is a Noob as he mentioned the same EXACT thing about it in 2014. (if YOU think you are better informed about Linux than he, prove it or lose it) :) Go argue with him not I. The long on short is that this is the 2nd computer that Ubuntu has choked vis-a-vis drivers for recent display drivers. For the end user it is irrelevant babble WHO screwed up. It ONLY matters that the OS in question cannot handle the hardware.

BTW, I am a newbie to linux BUT I started programming in '79. I understand the general subject and business angle FAR better than you.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:07:05 pm

That is just your opinion friend, a lot of the drivers are embedded in the kernel - do your homework son! As I have stated elsewhere, true free software is NOT dependent upon proprietary drivers. Give Trisquel a try or gNew sense. There is no market model for Truly free software and Ubuntu no longer acknowledges GNU/Linux as part of its OS. Go figure!

Freeatlast

Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:34:18 pm

Found advice from Linus T. (talk he gave in Portland.) regarding this problem. Ubuntu changes in code constantly breaks video drivers so that manufacturers can't be bothered to keep up due to small install base. Only long term solution is for Ubuntu team to rework how they manage the OS.