This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin Doesnt See My Backup Files From Vista

goffy

Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:27:58 am

Hi. I just switched to Zorin OS today by doing a total overwrite of my old Windows Vista machine. I obviously backed up my files to an external SSD first. I used Microsofts built in backup Wizard to create the backup which may be my problem! It compresses the files into a backup set and I am now wondering if this is only able to be read by a Windows OS because Zorins backup tool just keeps saying "No Backups To Be Found". Tried copying the backup set from the exteral drive onto my Zorin desktop and restoring from there but same message.

Hopefully there is another way of doing it. Any advice is appreciated.

Also can I force updates? It seems the version of Firefox that came with my Zorin install is old, also I would just like to be sure i am running up to date.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:56:44 am

I think your assumption could well be correct! The only backup software I would use is 'redobackup' for a free solution, or Acronis True Image, paid for solution but sometimes given away with some hard drives. Or simply drag and drop data to external hard drive. :(

James tobin

Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:50:54 am

I guess you'll have to put a temporary install of windows back on your machine and get your data back and manually copy data :|

I hope you are able to get your data back successfully!

goffy

Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:54:47 pm

Thanks for the replies. Luckily I had copied and pasted the really important stuff manually onto the external drive so that is safe! But I still lost a lot of other files and ten years worth of internet bookmarks.

I guess computers are a learning curve that never ends. So far I am impressed but there are a few niggles that are frustrating me. Firefox seems a bit buggy compared to the Windows version. And Zorin asking for my password every five minutes is frustrating. At least when Vista needed Admin permissions it was just a matter of one click to give permission. I will do some more reading of the helpful guides on here and I am sure I will get things working eventually........

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:09:01 pm

Hi, I am wondering if you have been asked for a 'token ring' password, hence the nagging - this does not happen to me - you could try a fresh install and just ignore the bit about 'token keyring' password when it pops up. ;) :D

Have you completed a full system update after install? ;) :D

goffy

Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:22:07 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, I am wondering if you have been asked for a 'token ring' password, hence the nagging - this does not happen to me - you could try a fresh install and just ignore the bit about 'token keyring' password when it pops up. ;) :D

Have you completed a full system update after install? ;) :D

Hi I don't remember being asked for a "token ring" password during install just a password during the account creation bit. After install I went and did a search for new updates via the tool in Systems Settings. Is that the same as a full system update?

I didnt select encryption during install either because the first install hung for several hours just before completion and I had to manually power the machine down and start again, second time worked ok. I wonder if my CD was damaged or if I burned it at too high a speed. I am tempted to start again from scratch...would the Brasero Burner be a good tool to use to burn a new ISO at low speed?

svx-biker

Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:10:16 am

Maybe a silli question, but: Did you ever try to restore some files from the backup you created in Windows with Windows before overwriting with Zorin?

I ask because you wouldn't be the first nice guy doing backups and never try to restore them. After some time really needing something out of the backups some people find they cannot read them all.

You may want to check the guide here: https://yingtongli.me/blog/2013/07/18/g ... ackup.html

It seems that backup files are simply zip files.

goffy

Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:43:31 pm

svx-biker wrote:Maybe a silli question, but: Did you ever try to restore some files from the backup you created in Windows with Windows before overwriting with Zorin?

I ask because you wouldn't be the first nice guy doing backups and never try to restore them. After some time really needing something out of the backups some people find they cannot read them all.

You may want to check the guide here: https://yingtongli.me/blog/2013/07/18/g ... ackup.html

It seems that backup files are simply zip files.

No I dont think I ever did. I never needed to. So maybe its the type of zip file used.