This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Beginner

Patric

Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:05:21 pm

Hi! I am entirely new to Linux and I have only two unclear issues to get started (I guess): The problem is that searching the Internet outside the Group renders a lot of non-useable results, therefore I would be very happy for clear and understandeable answers for me as beginner to the following two questions:

Exactly in which folder do I paste ndiswrapper?

Where precisely can I download Windows Wireless Driver for Zorin 8, and ONLY the trustable WWD without lots of bloatware and other suspicious stuff. Would very much appreciate a direct and trustworthy link.

Thanks!

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:19:47 pm

Hi, you don't put ndiswrapper anywhere! What you do is use 'Synaptic Package Manager' and in the 'search filter' field enter 'ndiswrapper' - select any unmarked/unticked entries, then right-click each one and select 'Mark for installation' then click on 'Apply' on the Menu bar at the top. After you have installed any 'missing' packages from 'ndiswrapper', open a Software Updater (Menu | System Tools | Administration) and select the first/left-most Tab and make sure your sources point to 'Main Server' instead of your countries 'local' server/s. Next, open a terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Then restart your machine.

I cannot offer further advice to you as Zorin 8 is no longer supported (security updates no longer updated). You need to be using Zorin 9 for current Long-Term Support. If you migrate to Zorin 9 I will attempt to assist you on your other queries. ;) :D

Patric

Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:59:30 am

Thanks Swarfendor437, I will try this. What about a Clean location for download of the Windows Wireless Driver, can you recommend a proper link? Regarding migrating to 9: Do I need to install an ISO again or is there a way to make an upgrade from existing 8 installation?

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:56:15 am

Hi you need to download the iso I'm afraid. With regards to windows wireless drivers, can you open a terminal and enter:

Code:
lspci

Then post back the information regarding the wireless device.
Thanks. ;) :D

Patric

Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:20:54 pm

Ok, thanks! I will try to get a grip on this the upcoming weekend if all goes well. Hope I am skilled enough to perform these initial steps to get going... :-)

Patric

Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:50:02 am

I'm sorry but I'm probably a rare botched case. I can see that the Synaptic Package Manager is installed, but under what menu item do I then reach the program, I can't find it!? Sorry :-)

Patric

Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:52:23 am

Ok, found it under administration! So now I'm getting closer... I'll be back :-)

Patric

Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:16:23 am

Getting "failed to fetch" on both ndiswrappers that were unmarked. Wired Internet ok though... How do I proceed?

Patric

Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:29:00 am

I don't know if there is Another problem, for instance: when trying to download Audacity I keep getting messages that this "requires installing packages from unathenticated sources"... These messages keeps popping up an the download does not continue. Could I have failed to perform some some principal setting after installation of the OS? Is that why I am having these strange problems?

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:40:49 am

Patric wrote:Getting "failed to fetch" on both ndiswrappers that were unmarked. Wired Internet ok though... How do I proceed?

Hi, Go to Menu | System Tools | Administration | Software Updater - set it running (you may need to provide login password before it will run) wait for it to finish 'whirring' and change your local server settings to 'Main Server' for your sources - then try again. ;)

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:42:02 am

Patric wrote:I don't know if there is Another problem, for instance: when trying to download Audacity I keep getting messages that this "requires installing packages from unathenticated sources"... These messages keeps popping up an the download does not continue. Could I have failed to perform some some principal setting after installation of the OS? Is that why I am having these strange problems?

Can I just check that you did get round to installing Zorin 9? ;) :D

To get Audacity installed, follow the instructions here:

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntuhandbook1/ ... u/audacity

Patric

Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:57:46 pm

Maybe that is the problem overall? I tried these measures in 8, did not get that you ment that this would only work for 9. So I beg your pardon in that case, a misunderstanding from me. I will get back as soon as I have 9 installed then. So all of your previous advice I should then run in 9?

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:47:40 pm

Yes - after you have installed 9, change your source of applications from your local (country) server to 'Main Server' and follow Wolfman's excellent post-install guide here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9785

You may want to download the unofficial manual here too:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9512

;) :D

Patric

Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:02:40 pm

Awesome! I will try this. Thanks for the patience!

Patric

Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:01:38 am

Ever Heard of Murphys law? Well anyway: I got these two older laptops that this is all about and I successfully installed Zorin 8 on them from an ISO-CD. Now in order to be able to follow your help I made an ISO-CD for Zorin 9. But now neither of the laptops are responding to my Changes for starting options in the bios, they happily continue to start Zorin 8 whatever te heck I change for starting order in the Bios? Can I ask you if there is a possibility to activate the ISO from within Zorin 8, or is there any basic and simple action that I again might have overseen?

Patric

Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:02:45 pm

Pretty Close to a brakedown now... Whatever start option I am setting in the bios the laptops refuse to start from cd/dvd. I do hear the dvd work though and the dvd is also shown on the desktop then, so I guess Zorin 8 recognises the media. Could it be that Zorin 8 somehow is preventing the bios from doing what I ask because of som non-activated hardware thingy associated with the cd/dvd-drive? Thought I did know a littlle to get my way around with proper help, but now I honestly feel like a complete blockhead...

Patric

Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:14:59 pm

Maybe the bios - setting has been ok all along, but the cd/dvd is not recognized as an ISO? Could I have made something wrong while burning it? How do I check this?

Patric

Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:46:14 am

Yep. I am ashamed. Obviously the image was not ok. I made a new ISO with a different software and now the first laptop is responding to the ISO. I will run this and return if something unclear surfaces concerning Zorin 9. Thanks.

Patric

Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:32:48 am

Ok, so far so good, OS 9 installed. Taken care of ndiswrapper according to your instructions. For step two I cannot find the tab you mention for setting "Main Server". When I open the software updater there are no tabs, it does only check for updates... Could you help me navigate?

Patric

Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:56:44 am

Ok found it in settings but there is no "Main Server" in the list. Should I set it to "mirrors.ubuntu.com instead?

Swarfendor437

Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:40:40 pm

Are you sure 'Main Server' is not there? It has been present since Zorin 6 upto and including 11 I am running! ;) :D

Patric

Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:17:02 am

No I am sorry. The only Place with a list that allows me to make a choice is located: settings, programs and updates, get from/others. This is now set to a server at Linköping University after a search fo best source. If this is not what you mean could you please help me navigate to the corrct menu? I have not been able to find anything else for setting "Main Server".

If possible I would also appreciate you explaining what the code you suggested: sudo apt... does, and if the Main Server is neccessary for doing this? Do I need the Main server for running lspci to achieve WIFI functionality?

Once again, thanks for your help! As you may have noticed it was no exaggeration to say that I am a novice to Linux.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:05:08 pm

Hi, I can't show you at moment as at work. But after running software updater, then click on Settings button, then go to left-most tab and near the bottom will show your current source of packages - if you select the down arrow you should see 'Main Server' (assuming desktop is showing in English!)

"sudo apt" is giving you root permissions to 'aptitude' which is a script to fetch packages from your chosen server. 'lspci' is just a bash command and is local to the machine, it is not dependent on being connected to the Main Server. It will list all your hardware. ;) :D

Patric

Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:44:27 pm

Ok thanks! Now all of a sudden "Main server" is shown in the list. I changed to the server and did run the sudo you proposed. It turned out "zero" on all possible updates in the last row, so Everything lookes to be allright and updated then. For a while now I will be looking for the good Broadcom drivers to download so that I can achieve full WIFI functionality on these older laptops by installing the appropriate Windows Wireless Drivers. Would be a pity only beeing able to use the pc:s wired. Unfortunately Broadcoms pages do not list these drivers anymore so I am a Little puzzled about that. Any other Place for Download seems to be full of malware, bloatware and other suspicious stuff so I do not really know how to solve this. That would be the next step. :-)

Patric

Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:52:08 am

Two questions that arises because of the help I have received is whether this update via the terminal mode ( apt-get update ) is important to repeat and how it differs from the update feature accessed via the desktop? Furthermore, why is the Main Server to prefer out of the choice of those many other servers offered ? What is the significance of all those available servers?

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:16:16 pm

OK, I guess there is not too much difference in terms purely in respect of updates but there is no gui for 'dist-upgrade' which is not as you think as I once did that the command is one that upgrades the distribution, rather it looks at what elements need to be updated following new application installation:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/81585/wh ... an-upgrade

The principal difference as I see it is Main Server will include packages that may not be available in local servers .

Patric

Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:59:28 pm

Thanks for the help Swarfendor! When I have learned a little bit more, I will certainly be using terminal as it is often faster than using the GUI. A little knowledge will be required first of course. I shall also devote myself to the manual you recommended. In the mean time three older XP-computers are now running Zorin 9 and I must say that for my simple needs they feel incredibly fast again! What remains, and I would be glad for your answer, is if you have more valued hints for the start of the WIFI, or if you think I'm on the right track by hunting down the correct driver for the radio card as I described before?

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:31:19 pm

Hi, not sure which Broadcom device you have but take a look here:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/450631/b ... -14-04-lts

Patric

Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:00:50 pm

Hi! Thanks again!

Patric

Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:20:24 pm

Ok. I Took a chance and tried ticking in the commands without knowing what they actually do. Cant see that anything changed after that, or that WIFI became accessible on the two laptops with wireless. As far as I understand I will not get around downloading the drivers and in The GUI window for "Windows Wireless Drivers" tell the computer where the driver file is at ("Downloads" presumeably?)... Problem is I fail to find any trustworthy looking URL for direct download of BCM4311 and BCM4318. I suppose nothing will work without these drivers installed so I would appreciate if there might be a chance to obtain a direct link to a good URL for this? Also the guides I find for activating WIFI seems a little bit fuzzy to me so a link to a good beginners step-by-step instruction to get WIFI working properly would be awesome. PS, I did order home the booklet "Linux for Dummies" :-)

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:27:18 pm

Hi, please look at this thread which gives official link to broadcom Linux drivers:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5636495

Patric

Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:51:29 am

That is just great! Many thanks!