This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How do I change the mouse pointer

wombat140

Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:05:00 pm

and change it QUICKLY without going through more menus than I have to. in Z 9 Core. specifically get rid of the spinny "loading" thing. autistic spectrum condition here. exceedingly painful for me to look at.

wombat140

Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:18:15 pm

How do I get rid of any other animations you can think of, in fact? After looking around on this forum I found out about the CompizConfig Settings > uncheck "Animations" thing, which gets rid of some, but there are still some, notably several other spinny things in the corners of windows and on the Zorin Menu button and so on.

Swarfendor437

Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:53:33 am

'Spinny' things are not set by default - someone must have added the rotation effect to the icons in AWN preferences - the default is only 'highlight'/'brighter' when Z menu selected. As for the 'Glowing Z' on boot if you want to change this to an 'Ubuntu' style splash with 5 dots that change colour underneath 'ZorinOS' you need to activate 'GDM' (Gnome Desktop Manager).

http://askubuntu.com/questions/152256/h ... tdm-to-gdm

wombat140

Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:24:06 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I think we may be talking at cross-purposes. I'm talking about the little rotating wheel thing that appears on the mouse pointer when something is loading (the times when Windows has a little hourglass on its pointer). (Since seeing a review of "Afterliff" I can't help thinking of that little spinny thing as a "sorrento" :D ) I'm still running it off the Live DVD, so I don't think anyone can have added any effects that aren't in the standard package. These little wheels aren't unique to Linux, I see them all over the place, but I'm used to how to turn off or avoid most of them. Likewise, one appears in place of the Z on the Zorin Menu if you take Zorin by surprise, and the installed version of Firefox is riddled with them but I can get on to replacing that with my usual version (or the Linux version thereof) if I can fix Zorin itself - if not, there's no point anyway, because I won't be able to use it.

I'm not bothered about the Z splash screen.

I don't mean I'm talking about things that are unique to Linux; when I first got Windows Vista I spent a long and painful few hours hunting all these little animations down and turning them off, and I'm in a worse phase now than I was then; I just couldn't do it now. I'd forgotten quite how hellish it was for me until I tried out Zorin OS.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:52:51 pm

Hi, I guess you mean the 'wait' and 'busy' cursors - you could try this solution and once you find where they get put, replace them with 'standard' cursors:

http://debianrules.blogspot.co.uk/2005/ ... gnome.html

wombat140

Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:59:24 pm

Excellent - thank you!