This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[MOVED] RKill, TDSS Killer, Malwarebytes, etc. on a Linux ma

DGLauren

Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:56:22 pm

Once again, I'm coming to the boards with a fairly urgent situation. My apologies for that. I'm trying to devote this afternoon (Eastern time, USA) to helping my friend remove a scam popup. I created a disc yesterday filled with malware removal tools, each of which said they were Linux compatible, but am still not familiar enough with Linux in general and Zorin in specific to know how to run them, or if they can even BE run on this setup.

The distro is Zorin 10-RC. When Zorin was installed, I selected to delete all Windows installations, so it should be purely Linux.

1. Are there Linux versions of security tools such as those I mentioned, or could someone tell me a way to run them on a Linux distro?
2. How could his computer have picked up a virus warning popup if it's Linux?

If you search for the phone number the warning instructs you to call, you can see which popup this one is. It's a scam number and apparently, the warning does not do any damage to your computer, only when you call the number and fall for it. However, it emits a piercing sound and pops up any time you connect to the internet. The machine is currently offline.

I hope that wasn't too fragmented. Thank you for your help.

Swarfendor437

Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:42:12 am

Hi, Use a different machine with Linux on it and use this:

https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-se ... -linux.php

Whilst off-line I would backup any data and remove Zoriin 10 RC - an RC is a Release Candidate and NOT the final release! Not only that it is no longer supported for security or other updates - You need to downgrade to Zorin 9 which is supported until April 2019. ;)

Please be aware that requests for help should be posted in this section - future wrong posting can lead to a temporary ban - if persistent wrong posting a permanent ban will be guaranteed!