This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

login issue

Trillax

Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:55:05 am

I have found that I can not successfully log into Zorin, except through Zorin Recovery. When I try what is suppose to be the normal login, I end up with the mountainous desktop and naught else. I think that each time I reboot this will be the time I will login successfully the 'right way'. So far no such luck. Bummer!

I have Zorin OS 11, which was upgraded with Ubuntu 16.04. This was done after I had logged in via Zorin Recovery.

Any help will be appreciated.

lauztuvas

Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:14:37 am

I relive this problem, also zorin 11. But problem was resolved by new instalation. A lot of quides I tryed but not sucsesfull. Also I think that zorin 9 is better like 11 - less problems, and keep longer a live :D

svx-biker

Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:30:40 am

Trillax wrote:I have Zorin OS 11, which was upgraded with Ubuntu 16.04. This was done after I had logged in via Zorin Recovery.

I would guess that this is error. Don't upgrade a distro with another one!
Though Zorin is based on Ubuntu it is NOT Ubuntu. You cannot just upgrade a distro with the base it's based on.

Trillax

Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:08:46 pm

Perhaps, it was a mistake on my part to upgrade to the 16.04 of Ubuntu. But the upgrade was done after I was logged into Zorin via the recovery mode. I don't believe that if I could downgrade to the Ubuntu version Zorin eleven is based on it would correct the login issue I have?

I have found all I need to do is open the "Advance Zorin" option, scroll down to 'Recovery Mode' and click on it. Once open I just click on 'Resume' then OK and I am sent to a login screen where I am able to log into Zorin.

I've tried the other options under "Advanced Zorin Options" and they all invariably sent me to the 'mountainous desktop' and there it sat and sat and sat ...

Would it be your suggestion, luztuvas, that I do a reinstall of Zorin using version 9 as opposed to eleven?

Fortunately, I have both versions on DVD.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:13:07 pm

Hi, it could be because Zorin 11 is end of life and somewhere an attempt to update to latest version of Ubuntu may have been checked by mistake - I am running 11 and still getting updates to Zorin OS base but not update to Ubuntu 16.04 (Zorin 11 is based on buntu 15.10 ;-) ). I would do a fresh install - 11 picks up hardware a lot better than 9 - speaking from personal experience. I will continue using until Zorin 12 is released. ;)