This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

system stuck on startup HELP!

kiob

Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:20:55 am

hello,

I have a Lenovo G710 (20252), single partition 256 ssd, 4G ram, zorin 9 core is the only os, combined graphic card ( intel and nvidia 720m).

And the problem I have is: (please bear with me I don't understand much about computers or os)

I was using zorin on a brand new ssd hard drive I have used to replace the old one.
The notebook was blazing fast =) the only problem was I had no wireless reception and could connect to the net via cable only, I checked the Faqs on the site and went to the additional drivers program and installed both wireless driver and nvidia graphic driver, at which point the system asked me to restart.
a few hours later I did.
It was a mistake, the system loaded all the way to the zorin logo, then it went blank.(kind of a black screen) .

I've tried a few option to fix it to no avail:

1. from the zorin booting screen I went to "advance options for zorin"
and tried both of the "recovery mode" options. then I tried running the "failsafeX". after getting a warning that my pc would run in a low graphics mode,
I get to a "what would you like to do?" window. I can choose nothing. the default seems to be "run in low graphic mode for one session" only I can't choose it.
Enter, up/down arrows, mouse, esc nothing works. it remains unchanged, at which point I usually manually restart.

2. tried to load the zorin installation (Live?) usb. Which does nothing, I jump straight from the lenovo starting logo to zorin booting window, then the zorin logo, then blackness.
I went to the bios and changed the legacy order so it loads the usb drive first, which made no change.

How can I either fix it or format/reinstall an OS (zorin or other)?

Swarfendor437

Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:02:51 pm

Hi, If your graphics ran normally without the need is drivers I would leave well alone! When you boot, if you see GRUB menu press E to edit boot parameters and enter:

Code:
acpi=off nolapic xforcevesa

Keep us posted! ;-) :D