This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Newly installed zorin os 9 lite edu 32bit

jeidern

Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:59:39 am

Good day all,
I have just installed the said os. First off, I would like to know your thoughts in the partition table I have created to install this OS in a 500 GB machine. The partition table is as follows:
200 GB - Primary ext4
100 GB - Swap
200 GB - logital (mount point /home)
Please let me know if what I have done is correct or do I have to change it.

Also, the PC where the OS is installed is meant for a student (hence the edu version). I would like to limit the amount of menu items the student sees. Is there a menu editor for zorin os 9 lite edu?

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:39:01 pm

Hi, Your primary and swap are way too Big!

1. Choosing the 'something else' method at point of install should be:

A. Primary of 30 Gb (or 50 Gb) = 30 x 1024 formatted to 'ext4' and marked as '/'

B. Create Logical Partition of remaining space and at END of logical partition create your 'swap area' - no need to specify fs (file system) and either make same size as memory but no more than 4 Gb.

C. Whatever space left at start of logical partition, format to 'ext4' and mark as '/home' . ;) :D

jeidern

Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:28:19 am

ooohh, thank you for the reply... will do.
But what about editing the menu? Is it possible?

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:25:18 pm

Hi, make sure you have 'Alacarte' menu editor installed by using Synaptic Package Manager. Alternatively you could install Gnomenu.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7983#p42161

jeidern

Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:56:31 am

Thanks Swarfendor437, for being patient with a newbie. ^_^ :)
Oh, about installing GnoMenu/Alacarte. You see, this particular PC where ZorinOS was installed will not be connected to the internet most if not all the time. There seem to be no *.deb files for either of the two when I checked the interwebs :) ... I only found one file (for GnoMenu) and it's a tar.gz file. I researched on how to unpack and install it, I was just wondering how to check for dependencies and also, IF the full installation of ZorinOS edu lite doesn't have those dependencies, how do I get those dependencies without an internet connection?

PS
The PC I use in order to communicate with the forum is different from the one with ZOS edu lite.

Swarfendor437

Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:58:39 pm

Hi, When I was new to GNU/Linux I downloaded packages to a fast Windows Internet connection, burned to Co and installed packages from CD; and ended up Borking the System! Always advisable to update via Internet if possible! ;) :D