This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to install a program?

RecoJohnson

Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:32:47 am

Well, i was going to search the forums for an answer , but "how to install a program" and "how do i install a program" were appariently too common of keywords and did not return any results...

So , is there a simplified way of installing a program?
I am trying to install gedit.

My dad bought me my first pc when I was 6 and I have been a PC user for my entire life, but I am trying to learn and adapt. It is very difficult and frustrating so far.

Is this not a good place to start learning linux?

c*** - someone move this to the "How to" section, sorry -_-

pantabulosin

Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:11:59 am

Hi RecoJohnson.

Assuming you are using Zorin 5.1 Standard, gedit should already be installed (it's just called Text Editor) and, at least in the Win7 interface it appears as Text Editor whether you type gedit or Text Editor. However, to better answer your original question, I'll guide you through the steps of installing gedit as if it weren't already installed using the Ububtu Software Center. Again, I'm going to assume you are using the Win7 user interface and I'll use the appropriate terms.

1. Click on the start button
2. Look for the program called "Ubuntu Software Center" or just type "Ubuntu Software Center" without the quotes on the search bar.
3. Open the Ubuntu Software Center (USC from now on).
4. There is a search bar on the upper right side of the USC, click on it and type "gedit".
5. USC will show you the program you are looking for (or the next best alternative, or both or more). In zorin 5 gedit is called Text Editor.
6. Click once on the "Text Editor option". You should see that an "install" button appears under the ratings of the application.
7. Click the "install" button. USC will most likely ask you for your password.
8. Enter your password if asked for it to grant the OS permission to install the software.
9. Congratulations, you installed gedit

You can use the same exact instrucions to uninstall any installed software, provided that you installed it through USC.

I know it sound a little long, but it is super easy. Also, you could use a program called Synaptic, or even the command line, but I wouldn't recommend using those options until you learn more about both and USC will do fine for 99.999% of your needs.

Hopefully that helps you out. Don't be afraid to ask any questions you may have.

Wolfman

Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:01:42 pm

Any external packages can be installed using "gdebi" package manager. You only have to make sure that the package you download; is a "deb" package and not an rpm.

Make sure that the package you download is also right for your system, 32 or 64 Bit, I stick with 32 Bit OS because some 64 Bit packages aren't supported or won't run as 64 Bit!!. I have a 64 Bit PC myself!!.

Regards Wolfman:)

RecoJohnson

Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:44:44 pm

Ok thanks for the info,

Could you provide some information on how to install these things: http://i.imm.io/bKUY.png

I cant seem to cd /Downloads , not sure what I need to put before it. I am a complete noob sorry -_-