This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[CLOSED] Can't find my Zorin OS Install

zaphkiel

Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:15:01 pm

Hello everyone! So recently, I tried to install Zorin OS 9 Lite (32 bit) alongside my install of Windows XP. The installation seemed to have gone smoothly. Now whenever I boot up my computer, there is no option to choose what OS to use. I'm just wondering what I am doing wrong. Is there a way for me to find it?

Swarfendor437

Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:17:18 pm

HI, please ensure that you can connect to the Internet directly, boot from the media you used to install in to 'live' mode, launch 'gparted' then take screenshot and post as .jpg image back here please. Thanks.

zaphkiel

Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:25:51 pm

Swarfendor437

Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:06:35 am

OK, I think you need to reconsider your plans. If you want to get back to XP you will need an install CD for XP to repair the mbr (master boot record). I could see right away that your partition sizes for Zorin are woefully too small. Let us know your intentions.

zaphkiel

Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:10:24 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:OK, I think you need to reconsider your plans. If you want to get back to XP you will need an install CD for XP to repair the mbr (master boot record). I could see right away that your partition sizes for Zorin are woefully too small. Let us know your intentions.

Yeah :/, I didn't do enough research on this. If possible, can I resize the Zorin partition to make it usable (if so, how could I go about that?)? I would much prefer that than to repair the mbr.

Swarfendor437

Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:58:18 pm

OK you cannot make GNU/Linux partitions bigger - you can only make them smaller. When you boot the machine do you have a GNU boot menu at all or does it boot straight to XP?

zaphkiel

Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:18:53 pm

There is no boot menu at all, it goes straight to XP

Swarfendor437

Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:42:53 pm

OK, First backup all essential data launch Zorin in live mode and delete all your GNU/Linux partitions using Gparted marked 'ext4' and 'swap area' but DON'T delete the Extended partition! Then move the NTFS partition to the start of Extended partition, cross fingers, re-boot and cross-fingers and if all OK report back. ;-)

zaphkiel

Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:41:13 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:OK, First backup all essential data launch Zorin in live mode and delete all your GNU/Linux partitions using Gparted marked 'ext4' and 'swap area' but DON'T delete the Extended partition! Then move the NTFS partition to the start of Extended partition, cross fingers, re-boot and cross-fingers and if all OK report back. ;-)

Just to be sure, will this hurt my computer in anyway? Like can something really bad go wrong? Just double checking, I don't want to get into even more of a pickle :P (really paranoid after I messed up the partitions)

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:28:14 pm

That is why I suggest you backup any crucial data before going ahead. Always best to make a backup before messing around. ;) :D

zaphkiel

Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:39:45 am

By crucial data, do you just mean documents? I don't want these potential changes to the partition to render my computer unusable, it's the only one I have and right now I really need it for school :P I'd rather not take too much risks hehe (sorry to be so worrisome :P)

Swarfendor437

Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:04:29 am

OK, so long as it is still usable, I would stick with the machine as is and wait until your studies are over - just avoid the internet whilst using XP! ;) :D

zaphkiel

Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:53:49 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:OK, so long as it is still usable, I would stick with the machine as is and wait until your studies are over - just avoid the internet whilst using XP! ;) :D

Haha okay :D Thanks you so much for your help!!!

Swarfendor437

Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:57:26 pm

Are you happy for me to mark this thread as [CLOSED]? ;) :D

zaphkiel

Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:42:13 pm

Yeah haha go ahead haha. I'll probably return here eventually but for now I'm fine