This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 9 upgraded to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

jcartner-young

Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:28:08 pm

Hi, everyone.

Hope I'm not missing something obvious.

My Zorin installation recently asked if I would like to upgrade to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. I accepted the upgrade thinking it would upgrade my OS with latest features, fixes, etc.

Unfortunately, the upshot is a somewhat unhealthly (ie unstable, iffy or temperamental) system.

I have lost Apache2 with ZoneMinder installed and configured; My boot sequence is slower and displays a black screen; There seems to be redundant, non-responsive options (ie shutdown/logoff) in the Zorin menu; The GRUB boot menu displays 'Ubuntu' where it once said 'Zorin'; Various programs have been exhibiting strange behaviours like hanging and quitting where everything used to run relatively smoothly.

I think the upgrade may not have been meant for my OS as it seems to have mainly broken it. I am going to have to reinstall and reconfigure everything.

Just wondering if anyone else had these upgrade issues and if the upgrade should have happened?

Is there an easy way to roll-back or is a reinstall (a la Windoze) the only option.

If you need any further information, please ask.

Many thanks for your knowledge.

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:55:18 am

Hi, never accept an upgrade to the latest version of Ubuntu as it will lead to a broken install. This could be why 11 may have been pulled from direct download if Canonical have managed to re-program updates even if 'upgrade to latest Ubuntu when available' has been disabled but this bit is pure speculation on my part.

jcartner-young

Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:28:06 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, never accept an upgrade to the latest version of Ubuntu as it will lead to a broken install. This could be why 11 may have been pulled from direct download if Canonical have managed to re-program updates even if 'upgrade to latest Ubuntu when available' has been disabled but this bit is pure speculation on my part.

Ah, well... My weekend is no longer free lol

I wonder why it's still in there, is it not vestigial code? Thanks for the heads-up, anyhoo.

Would you (or anyone else) know where I may be able to disable this 'feature' if I re-install? Is there a config file to edit or a file/folder to rename?

Many thanks for the reply!

Swarfendor437

Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:22:24 pm

Hi, normally in Software Updates, click on 'Settings' button and it should open at the tab which states: 'Check for latest release of Ubuntu' which should be set to 'Never'. ;-) :D

jcartner-young

Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:01:18 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, normally in Software Updates, click on 'Settings' button and it should open at the tab which states: 'Check for latest release of Ubuntu' which should be set to 'Never'. ;-) :D

I am still quite amazed at how stable this thing is given it's a sort-of a 'conjoined cousin' installation lol :lol:

tahoemike

Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:28:07 pm

Hi

I did the same thing, but it has worked out fine so far. I just had to reinstall DockBarX. With the old setup my windows were constantly losing the title bar requiring frequent reboots - that problem is gone. Also the old wifi menu was erratic and that is gone now. So I'm very happy and didn't have to start from scratch installing Zorin 12 to get Ubuntu 16.04.