This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Laggy OS/!Computer

Motley

Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:48:23 pm

Okay so I am finally feed up "Thats why I am now hear :)"

Okay no clue why it's happening but for some reason if I have more than one resource going my pc will begin to lag, I never had this issue with XP,

I do a lot of scripting/coding it's a must to be applicable of having three tabs open in notepad ++,
As well a 'server.exe'
As well testing the scripts on a game engine.

When doing even just that my pc begins to lag and it will become a nightmare 'Takes 1 half minute to close wine',.
I end up having to close out of Notepad++
"Grr cant CTRL Z + Y in case I created an error, and or should revert back simply",
I have to make sure the folder for the scripts are closed and only run the 'server.exe' as well game engine.

So what could be causing this lag?

If someone could send me a easy link to paste my pc specs that would be awesome.

I want to at least add that I have a quad core I think 2.7 ghz i believe "4 cpu's = quad core"

*Any help is highly appericiated

[Edited]:
The gpu is at 62 degrees F
Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q9450 @ 2.66GHz × 4
GeForce 6600 GT/PCIe/SSE2
os 64-bit Ultimate
192.5 GB
memory 3.9 GiB

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:38:40 pm

OK, check that there are no 'startup' applications running in the background - lot of GNU/Linux have Bluetooth running by default to cater for Notebook (Laptop) installs and disable that - also checkout my '...miscellania' thread on how to remove apps such as Zeitgeist spyware:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9795#p48976 which are also running in background - start up system monitor to see what is running - stop services you don't need but don't be doing any coding while you do this if the system crashes you know which ones NOT to stop from running on next login/reboot. ;) :D

Motley

Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:42:14 pm

Well it's definitely not spy-ware as Zorin did this at default on a fresh install.

I'm not to tech savvy so the thought of running that command scares me,. I'm not capable of backing up my scripts at this time as I have a full 1tb full of scripts/xml coding/sqlite "Imagine that", So I can not back up yet,.

Unless you can ensure me I have nothing to worry about.

I am beginning to think that my mobo is not using every cpu, Also the graphics card says I have half of the video memory than I actually have "Some multi coding support I guess", Also even though I have a really good mobo ' a lil outdated' I am beginning to think maybe it cant handle 64 bit operating systems anymore,.

If you could ensure me of that command and what you did with the unity, that I will be fine I will do it,.

Swarfendor437

Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:58:48 pm

Hi, you have quacore processor = 64 bit - it also means you get to use most of your RAM whereas 32-bit would only mean 3 Gb of RAM could be utilised. Have you updated your system after install? Please check out Wolfman's excellent Post-installation guide here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9785