This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Canon Printer won't print

cfnordstrom

Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:06:38 am

Successfully installed Zorin 9 from CD ROM, added latest updates 9/2/16 from Software Updater
AMD 32bit proc, 4Gig memory, 250Gig HD (2 HD in this comp, one has Zorin, the other has Windows 7, Grub is able to dual boot)
Everything seems to work except printing: Used the installer to install the printer (Canon Pixma MX882) the installer seems to find the printer on the network, loads whatever it loads, but then no printing occurs. This printer exactly as it is, same network, same IP address prints fine from Windows 7.
After using the 'Test Print" in the installer I do not get any errors or pop-ups, it just doesn't print.
I have used the printer installer to delete the printer and then "Add" printer, this time I choose "Network" and "Find", enter the IP address and it always ends without finding the printer. Note that I can access the printer from Zorin browser and can ping using the same address that it says it can't find. So I'm guessing it's a driver issue or something. Problem is I have not idea how to manually install the drivers and can't find specific documentation on this. I found drivers for Linux on the Canon web site, but it's just a bunch of compressed files and although I can download them successfully to the HD, there are no instructions on what to do with them once i have them. I tried double clicking on the .gz files for Deb, 32bit, and this brings up the Software Center which prompts to install, but after doing that the printer still won't print even after deleting and re-adding after the software install.
I've searched the web for a couple of days, but get no hits on this specific problem, also searched the Zorin forums and get no hits (the search capability of the Zorin support web site is pathetic). That's an observation, not a complaint..

Anyway, need some insight from those that know Linux, or this issue or whatever I can get.

Swarfendor437

Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:59:28 am

Hi, try again but instead of launching via Menu | System Tools | System Settings | Printers, launch via terminal:

Code:
system-config-printer

Did you use the MX880 driver that comes with Zorin?

Having looked long and hard there is no Linux driver supplied by Canon:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/port ... ixma-mx882

You need to try the MX880 driver bundled under Canon within 'Add Printer' - try to physically connect the printer first to install it. ;) :D