This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Wireless card and set up

crd

Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:01:28 am

Hello, I bought this funky pc today from RE PC with Linux Zorin Core 9 OS; it's a rebuilt off-brand that doesn't even admit who the maker is. I think it's 32 bit but honestly not sure. It's my first time with any type of linux, so I'm learning as I go. Anyway, I spent about 3 hours trying to get the wifi working and finally figured out through an "lshw -C network" command that all I have is an ethernet card: Ethernet interface, product 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connection, vendor Intel Corporation.

So that's all that comes up when I use that command, so that means no wireless card, right? I'm assuming I need to buy an wireless card first but what do I buy if I don't even know what kind of PC I have?

Once I get that installed, what driver do I use? I don't have windows on this pc at all, Zorin only.

Thank you for any help!

C.

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:58:50 pm

OK, to doubly make sure that there are no wireless cards lurking anywhere (is this a desktop by the way?) open a Terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and enter:

Code:
ifconfig /a

Clickin on 'select all' above the 'code' phrase will copy to your clipboard - then just paste in your terminal - it will list all your network devices and include your MAC (Media Access Control) codes in Hexadicmal format, e.g., B4-82-FE-06-96-C0 - but ensure that these are not present when you post back your results - unless you want your machine hacked.

If a desktop a compatible wireless card would be:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/133429/a ... -04#133529

(As Zorin is based on Ubuntu. ;) :D