This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Old Motherboard supported?

Ratteler

Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:29:23 pm

I've finally gotten Zorin 11 installed on a 32GB MicroSD Card in a USB adapter with my Intel D201GLY motherboard.
Zorin installation evidently didn't set MBR when if formatted the card for instillation. So first bug report.
Secondly, the GUI effects are is dead slow.

It's an SiS662 chipset with a Celeron 1.33 soldered to the board.
It was $10.
I've got 512MB of DDR2 ram in it.
For some reason I was unable to install to my 32MB CF card in an IDE adapter.
There was an error message about the 622 chipset when installing, but it kept going once I formatted my TF Card with MBR.

I'm assuming I have to install drivers for everything to get reasonable performance.
Apparently I have no sound. I have to put a Wifi USB on to get internet, because I don't have a physical Ethernet line anymore.
Second bug. Until I accessed the "Look Changer", the default Win7 look hid the Power and Logout buttons under the Zorin Menu Bar where they couldn't be accessed.

Any help would be appreciated. I've played with Unbutu in the past, but I'm hoping to get this working well enough so I can run Amiga and Commodore emulation on it.

Swarfendor437

Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:49:39 pm

Hi, your biggest issue with your Motherboard is the SiS chipset - SiS have never supported any GNU/Linux. Your specs for Core are too low - try Zorin Lite and if still no success, try other liighter alternatives such as Slitaz or LXLE or Qelitu. :(

Ratteler

Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:26:12 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, your biggest issue with your Motherboard is the SiS chipset - SiS have never supported any GNU/Linux. Your specs for Core are too low - try Zorin Lite and if still no success, try other liighter alternatives such as Slitaz or LXLE or Qelitu. :(

Ok thanks, That's a bit of a bummer. I really liked Zorin's integration of Wine. I was hoping run C64 and Amiga Forever on it just to get the drivers and Roms, then set up more Linux friendly implementations.

Swarfendor437

Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:56:24 pm

Hi, that doesn't mean that runnig lightweight distro means you can't install emulation software but as to how well it will run is another issue. ;) :D