This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

zos File Manager: How to set default view to List View?

abctmp88

Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:34:44 am

Dear all,

as titled.
(I am using ZorinOS11)

Thanks for any kind of help!

Swarfendor437

Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:29:38 am

Hi, this issue has been raised elsewhere. Sadly due to a different File Manager in use this cannot be readily achieved - you could try Thunar File Manager - others have opted to install 'Midnight Commander' to ensure they don't break the system as Thunar was made for a different Desktop Environment. You can choose a File Manager from the Software Centre/er:

FileManager.jpg

abctmp88

Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:45:52 am

I tried caja File Manager and seems that it is better than the default Zorin File Manager
-> so how can I change the default file manager of ZorinOS11 to Caja?

Thanks for any kind of help!

Swarfendor437

Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:03:11 pm

Possible solutions here, but tread carefully, do so AT YOUR OWN RISK! ;) :D

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DefaultFileManager

MBMz10

Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:35:57 am

Hi,
try here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11729&start=10
There are a few links and if not using Zorin OS 11 Ultimate there is a command line but I haven't used it myself.

Copy below into terminal:
gsettings set org.gnome.nautilus.preferences default-folder-viewer 'list-view'

Swarfendor437

Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:27:35 am

MBMz10 wrote:Hi,
There are a few links and if not using Zorin OS 11 Ultimate there is a command line but I haven't used it myself.

Hi, 11 uses Nemo not Nautilus. :-)

abctmp88

Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:43:06 am

Dear all,

I checked from the software centre about "Nemo File Manager"
-> it shows up 4 items related to "Nemo"
-> I click on the first one which is named "Nemo"
-> but... the installation icon is active

Am I right that "Nemo" has not being installed?
If this is the case, what is the file manager of zorin-os-11-core-64.iso ?

Rgds,

MBMz10

Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:09:09 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:
MBMz10 wrote:Hi,

Hi, 11 uses Nemo not Nautilus. :-)

Sure?
I am using Zorin 11 Ultimate:
sudo nautilus opens my file manager
sudo nemo Command not found

Swarfendor437

Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:35:51 am

oops! :oops: My bad- I must have been in my Cinammon DE! LOL! - Yes it is Nautilus but it has changed with each iteration. Best not to mess too much with what is already there - better to give Midnight Commander a try (remember it from my Amiga days with split screen).

MBMz10

Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:12:35 pm

I just tried this command, gsettings set org.gnome.nautilus.preferences default-folder-viewer 'list-view' on Zorin os 9 in a 'live session' and it indeed did change the view settings to "list view" with persistence, that is when I closed the file manager and restarted it 'list view' was default again. I changed back to 'Icon view' using preferences and those new changes remained with persistence also. Looks like the command does the same thing as file preferences menu does as far as I can tell.

Unfortunately Zorin 11 core has no 'persistence' when changing the view settings from the file manager itself. Each time you start it, back to defaults. I am on Zorin 11 Ultimate and a work around exists (one of the links posted above somewhere). The last part of the command, gsettings set org.gnome.nautilus.preferences default-folder-viewer 'list-view' I changed 'list-view' to 'icon-view' and that gave me icon view with persistence also. Remember I tested on Zorin 9 live session but I would feel comfortable running this on my Zorin 11 install if I needed to.

This was a bit of a let down on Zorin 11 IMO, for such a simple thing...
Hope this is helpful

svx-biker

Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:54:04 pm

I asked the original author to change the topic name to "Zorin OS ...".

zos is rather confusing as z/OS is a mainframe operating system.
;)

abctmp88

Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:05:09 am

I find that nemo has all the good features that I am looking for,
except creating a link to a shared network folder of Synology Diskstation (Nautilus does this!)

so at this moment, I use both nemo and the default file manager of ZorinOS11-Core (i.e. Nautilus)

hope that the Zorin Team or GNOME Team can consider adding the features of nemo into Nautilus
or use nemo as the default file manager by adding the missed great feature (creating a link to a network shared folder)!

Thanks!