This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 9 - Minor Idiosyncracies vs Windoze

rbianco3

Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:39:00 am

I've been messing up constantly because when I go to change web url's I'm so used to clicking in the url box once and having ALL the text highlighted but it takes two rapid clicks to select all text in Zorin and I suspect it's a Linux thing. Does anyone know if that is configurable?

I searched for a solution but there was nothing on the site. Very minor issue just annoying. Overall love the OS.

Is there a way to not play a loud noise each time you click the start button or is that specific to the theme chosen?

Are all file manager programs crude looking like they're from the 80's? If so maybe I'll try rewriting one.

Which browser do you find most solid in Linux? Chrome was my fav in Win but it crashes on sites with apple's products so been using Opera and love it- not too excited about Firefox on Linux but it's okay- just locks up a lot.

Swarfendor437

Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:52:41 pm

Hi, In respect of Firefox and url selection see here:

https://www.quora.com/Why-doesnt-a-sing ... rs?share=1

As for the sound scheme, right-click the 'Z' menu button and select 'Preferences' - check that the sound scheme is set to 'None' (which it usually is by default) or 'Default' (which it usually isn't! :D

Zorin Menu Settings.jpg

By File Manager Programs are you referring to the equivalent of 'Windows Explorer' or 'Application install/removal packages' such as Synaptic and Gdebi? ;) :D

rbianco3

Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:25:39 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, In respect of Firefox and url selection see here:

https://www.quora.com/Why-doesnt-a-sing ... rs?share=1

As for the sound scheme, right-click the 'Z' menu button and select 'Preferences' - check that the sound scheme is set to 'None' (which it usually is by default) or 'Default' (which it usually isn't! :D

Zorin Menu Settings.jpg

THANK YOU! That menu noise was waking my wife up while I play on the computer at night, lol.

By File Manager Programs are you referring to the equivalent of 'Windows Explorer' or 'Application install/removal packages' such as Synaptic and Gdebi? ;) :D

I meant like Windows Explorer. I guess it would be nice if the windows weren't so plain and old fashioned looking - does that mean someone needs to write a nice looking one? If so it gives me something to work on... I'm a developer well suppose most of us here are to some degree.

Swarfendor437

Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:49:55 pm

I am no Dev - just someone who likes to play around with OSes and see what can be done with them ... without hopefully breaking them in the process! :lol: