This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to move the Panel to be vertical on the side zorin 12

chamen

Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:44:26 pm

Zorin 12 beta just got released and I haven't yet figured out how to move the panel to the side. Any ideas?

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:09:37 am

Hi, your thread title and content are a bit different - it would appear the only places for the panel at present are either top or bottom as it is no longer AWN as the panel manager. ;) :D

chamen

Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:12:50 am

I had a typo in the body, but you responded to what I meant to ask ;) .

I am new to Linux, but I was told that Linux is very customizable. Is there any way to manually move the panel to the side?

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:42:45 am

No, that has been locked in the Beta. Only been trying it live (64-bit) at moment. Hoping they include Synaptic Package Manager and not just leave it to the Software Manager which has a poor search facility. I also tried to run 'sudo apt-get install' a package to see if it would connect to any repos of Ubuntu but instead it stated I should now use 'sudo apt install'! And still no response - not tried installing a different browser in live mode using the Zorin web browser chooser which I have been able to do in the past. If you can connect to the repo's try opening a terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and see if you can install Cairo-Dock DE which will give you more versatility in where to place the panel:

Follow this guide here:

https://www.linuxhelp.com/how-to-instal ... in-ubuntu/

crazyporscheman

Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:26:26 pm

Hey Swarf!

Hope you are doing well!

In regards to the question in moving the panel to left side in OS 12, you maybe think that once we move from Beta to Stable release and an Ultimate version becomes available (not sure if an Ultimate version is in the plans and pure speculation on my part), that the panel on left side might be possible? With the DE being Gnome-based I would guess it wouldn't be as easy to make happen as it was with AWN.

Tim

Swarfendor437

Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:55:00 pm

Well they could always add Docky which can be placed anywhere - the big thing for me will be the presence or absence of synaptic package manager - that could be the killer for me friend. :o

crazyporscheman

Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:22:50 pm

True - Docky would be an alternative. There is also a Gnome extension that moves the existing dock in the Activities Overview out to the desktop which would work as well.

For the original poster of the topic, here is the link:

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/307/dash-to-dock/

Also, when you visit the Gnome Extensions website, you will want to use Firefox as your web-browser as Chromium/Chrome does not offer native desktop integration as Firefox does which is needed to easily install the extension right from the browser.

Lastly, I agree than Synaptic is a must with any Ubuntu/Debian based distro now days. It isn't the nicest to look at but it just plain works. Hopefully the powers that be will heed the suggestion seriously and include it in the final release.

Tim

Swarfendor437

Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:34:08 pm

Well I must say I am mightily impressed with Ultimate Edition 5 Lite Ubuntu Mate "Remix" for i386 (32-bit) which has synaptic package manager, and galculator (gnome caclculator) which is fully customisable for people with vision impairment - should be the 'de facto' calculator or any Gnome based distro - let sighted users replace if they want to but is probably the most versatile calculator out there anyways!:

download/file.php?id=4672&mode=view