This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

New to Linux, Help with Wine

zaxscd2011

Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:49:34 am

I have a laptop that is a bit more than 2 years old and is slow as ever. Rather than buying a new pc, I thought i'd try starting over with linux. My wife is the primary user on the laptop and about all she uses it for is word processing, web browsing, and world of warcraft. Being this is my first exposure to linux, I really have no idea what I am doing. I set up a dual boot on the machine, and I cannot figure out how to make warcraft run using wine. When I try to open the game, I get a notice saying there was a "critical error" and it had to close. To my understanding, Zorin OS 9 comes with wine 1.6.2 which does not support warcraft. Is there any way to tinker with it to make it work? Or how do I update wine so it would be compatible with the game? Thanks!

Swarfendor437

Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:47:40 am

Your best thing to do first is to head over to codeweavers.com that produce cross-over and search for their 'What Runs' Page. ;) :D

zaxscd2011

Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:14:59 pm

I checked cross-over, and the latest version tested was may of 2015. The only software that I know works with current versions is wine 1.9.19 but when I tried to install it, I still had wine 1.6.2.

Swarfendor437

Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:26:48 pm

That is probably due to kernel dependencies - Distros only release kernels through their update settings to ensure the system does not get broken - you may need a newer kernel which you can install yourself - worth checking on wine.hq.org to find what kernel dependencies and other libraries are needed. ;) :D