This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Geforce GT710 NVIDIA driver search

tigger65

Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:30:18 am

Hi all - Newbie looking for help installing latest driver for GEFORCE GT 710 video card. I was hoping to find a section on here dealing with drivers but alas, no luck. I have a .run file of the driver but am having little luck getting it installed. I will provide what details I can if someone is willing to work with me and ask what info they need. Thanks for any help.

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:45:40 am

What version of Zorin are you running? ;) :D

tigger65

Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:37:30 pm

Sorry. I guess that would be the first piece of info needed. I'm running Zorin 9.

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:02:19 pm

Linx

Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:19:58 pm

Normally when I'm installing the nvidia drivers, I follow a few steps that seem to work every time.

BUT, I must say, it can cause issues later down the road (when the kernal updates) and the drivers will then need to be reinstalled,. and sometimes it can be a pain to do that.

First I switch to a tty
Code:
ctrl + atl + F2

then I login with my username and password and switch to where I downloaded the files to
Code:
cd $HOME/Downloads

After this I change to the root user
Code:
sudo su

It should ask for your password, it WILL NOT display anything when your typing fyour password, that is normal.
Next, I stop the display manager (lightdm for Z9 Core)
Code:
service lightdm stop

or
Code:
systemctl stop lightdm

Now to make sure we can run the NVIDIA driver installer
Code:
chmod 777 filename.run

Now to run the installer
Code:
filename.run

Follow the on screen prompt untill the install is complete! Then restart the display manager
Code:
service lightdm start

or
Code:
systemctl start lightdm

Normally I think it will switch from your tty to the newly started display manager if not try using one of the following.
Code:
ctrl + alt + F7

or
Code:
ctrl + alt + F1