This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[CLOSED] how to run a setup file

SonnyLiverpool

Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:33:21 am

hello all!
i cant seem to run setup files, iv done a few serches and it seems that i have to change the settings, as of now when i ddclick the file it opens it up as a text or it just cant open it all togeter, can you tell me how to do this zorin os11

ive just paid for an downloaded Zorin OS 9 Ultimate and i need to setup hash cheacker, so i need to resolve this problem

thanks for your help!!

Swarfendor437

Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:23:19 am

First off I am assuming that this is a Windows program that works under wine. What version of Windows was the application meant to run under? By default, Wine is set to XP if the app is for Windows 7 or later you need to change the settng in wine config file - go to Menu | Wine | Configure Wine.

Now for the setup file - if this is .msi it might be an issue - if it is .exe then first off right click the setup icon to select Properties, then on the Permissions tab ensure that 'Run as an executable' is check marked. When I ran Windows games under wine it was not possible to do this from the CD which is read only - you may have to create a folder if copying fromo CD but name it exactly as the CD is named and place it in the fake 'C' Drive - now copy all of the files to the newly created folder on 'C:/' drive and for good measure select all the files present and check mark the permissions bit I mentioned earlier.

Keep us posted! ;) :D

SonnyLiverpool

Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:30:16 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:First off I am assuming that this is a Windows program that works under wine. What version of Windows was the application meant to run under? By default, Wine is set to XP if the app is for Windows 7 or later you need to change the settng in wine config file - go to Menu | Wine | Configure Wine.

Now for the setup file - if this is .msi it might be an issue - if it is .exe then first off right click the setup icon to select Properties, then on the Permissions tab ensure that 'Run as an executable' is check marked. When I ran Windows games under wine it was not possible to do this from the CD which is read only - you may have to create a folder if copying fromo CD but name it exactly as the CD is named and place it in the fake 'C' Drive - now copy all of the files to the newly created folder on 'C:/' drive and for good measure select all the files present and check mark the permissions bit I mentioned earlier.

Keep us posted! ;) :D

thanks for the response, but i needed hash checker to check the sums on zorin os 9 ultimate iso, but it seems that zorin os11 alreddy had a program preinstalled to deal with verifying iso's.

just goes to show that zorin (which ever version) is a belter OS!!!

anyway, i downloaded, verified the iso and installed it!!!
and its it seems to be alot better than the free version
10euro for a OS this good is a bargin

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:45:14 pm

OK, you can check the md5sum (this is not the same as the # key) by opening a terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T), navigate to the folder where the .iso is (cd Downloads) and then enter the command:

Code:
md5sum [name of iso file exactly as named]
- you need to wait 30 seconds for the results to be returned in the terminal on a new line. ;)

For Windows users I only recommend winmd5free from winmd5.com - I made a tutorial video on veoh.com. ;)