This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Lossless Audio Assistance (IEC958/AC3)

PDK

Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:09:07 pm

Hello Zorin Community,

I have an X-Fi Titanium PCI that I connect to a Samsung HW-J7500 using an optical cable.

The Samsung supports up to 96K and is a surround bar with Dolby Digital and DTS decoder built in. I have gone through numerous steps and got the 5.1 working system wide through PulseAudio digital out (IEC958/AC3) and it works great.

I have some HD audio Blurays. When I attempt to play them I am hearing a high pitched sound as well as playing some of the audio which appears distorted.

The system works perfectly in Windows. The hardware is fine so I know it is a limitation or a setting within linux. It would appear there is some audio processing going on where I am under the impression that with my configuration that minimal to zero processing should be required. (Of course I could be wrong) Either that or I need to alter some settings.

I was hoping you guys could assist. I'm using Zorin OS9 (Love it).

Essentially I just want the best audio quality I can get and as efficiently as possible with my configuration.

I appreciate your assistance.

Thanks.

Swarfendor437

Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:47:58 pm

Just to provide you with some historical perspective, normal DVD playback was reverse engineered by a young Norwegian of 16 years of age at the time managed to create script/code in order to get DVD playback was pursued by the copyright brigade who helped ensure he was placed under house arrest at the time! Blu-Ray is yet to be cracked as far as I am aware:

"I must Concede!!!

by TheeMahn on Apr.20, 2016, under Ultimate Edition

I was updating netdata and got busted. I had source code on my screenie of what I was writing, far from done. My intentions are pure, I want to bring BluRay authorization to Linux. A slacking point in our world, as well as Games. This is too big of of a chore for one man the Games is what I infer, not BluRay mastering.

I find an issue in Linux, usually I jump right on it. I must Concede I am, but 1 man. Some things, I find that people have grave difficulty doing I find fairly simplistic. We will see, no it is NOT available for download YET!!!

Dxxx, now that I look at that screenie… There is a powerpc version of Ultimate Edition in the background, oops!!! You never truly know what I am doing.

TheeMahn," [from here: http://ultimateedition.info/author/admin/page/2/]

;) :D

PDK

Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:17:55 am

Hi. Thanks for your reply.

The problem is not reading blu rays.

The desired outcome is getting the OS audio to push non-decoded &/or raw audio data to the external hardware decoder versus internal resampling/conversion.

The video files are not encrypted. It has nothing to do with blu rays.

Thanks again.

Swarfendor437

Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:44:30 pm

All I can find is this:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=870001

and this:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php ... st13256285

Zorin uses Pulse Audio - I don't know if it is safe to remove Pulse Audio and use ALSA instead? ;)